99 Jeep GC- will not crank

jeepgirl99

I have a 99 jeep Grand Cherokee. It started fine earlier. then when I went to crank it later it will not turn over. No power anywhere. when I turn the switch no noise, when i return the switch I hear the flapper move and the gauges move. It is also stuck in Park. any ideas??

Tiffany

I had the CPS replaced about 6mths ago. When it went it would not crank but had power. I am stumped. Any ideas are appreciated.
i plan to replace the brake light switch. cheap and easy fix and it should correct a few problems i am also having with my GC.
Could it be the NSS? is that hard to clean or replace?

Last edited:
I have a 99 jeep Grand Cherokee. It started fine earlier. then when I went to crank it later it will not turn over. No power anywhere. when I turn the switch no noise, when i return the switch I hear the flapper move and the gauges move. It is also stuck in Park. any ideas??

Tiffany

Regrets that so many of us missed your post , it happens , but dosen't make it any cooler. Sorry.
i want to make sure I understand . Not turning over and no dash lights , nothing that usually goes on when you turn key to ON position just before you crank starter is working as though a dead battery , am I right ? I'm not certain what you mean by "flapper" , sorry , but the gauges go back to pegged position as normal when key is turned off ? Check all fuses under the hood in the power distribution center to see if any have failed. Make a note of any that did , this helps to diagnose the problem. Of course , change any that are bad and try again . If no success , see if any failed again and note again . We must know which continue to fail. Because there is a current ( electrical power ) flow problem , the shift interlock will not disengage until power allows it to . That is for safety since jeep is not supposed to roll in neutral without power brake assist.
again , sorry for the miss and hope you will keep faith in Jeepz.com . Greg

I had the CPS replaced about 6mths ago. When it went it would not crank but had power. I am stumped. Any ideas are appreciated.
i plan to replace the brake light switch. cheap and easy fix and it should correct a few problems i am also having with my GC.
Could it be the NSS? is that hard to clean or replace?

Yes , that is typical , when the CPS fails , no signal is sent to the PCM ( power train control module ) and does not know the engine is trying to start therefore PCM does not tell fuel injectors and ignition system to give fuel and give spark. Ok , you can bypass a neutral safety switch for test purpose to see if your jeep cranks . Good call . On my XJ , its on the trans , do you have the 4.0 or a 4.7 ? Need to know which trans you have . But it will be o. The trans either way . Must research so to direct you which wires and where they are. Again , regret missing your post as normally we are up to date with new posts and new members .
Oh goodness , BTW , yeah , welcome to Jeepz.com :welcome: hope to be of more assistance and more careful to avoid again missing posts . Sorry .

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I found the problem and it was way obvious. My positive battery cable was bad. I felt soo stupid. I still am having to work out a few kinks in my GC. windows having a mind of their own, my brake pedal hisses constantly and of course the dreaded hood props have failed. I am so sick of carrying around a long stick for a hood prop. I also have a back light that is crazy and the headlights and interior lights only come on when the car is running.. but for all the problems i love my Jeep.. it is just 13 years old.

Your very welcome . Glad you found the problem , don't feel bad about it , we all overlook things every so often , it just happens and we learn from it . It's all part of an experience we go through and we do it because we love our jeeps and we do all we can to help our members in need . Your welcome to post anytime and every time you like anywhere you feel comfortable .
Thanks for posting some of the items on your to do list for your jeep , hope we can help out there. Sorry we missed your distress posts , we'll have to be more vigilant. You certainly posted in the right place , but I guess we need to check all the threads in the forum as it seems we may be looking at our subscribed and current threads most times and we probably should be looking at other threads too , especially when a member is in need . Hope we may be of service to more of your jeep needs and of course your posts always welcome anytime . We'll leave the light on for you . All our best , Greg

Last edited:
Back