aw4 not shifting

kreatos909

Alright. So i have a 95 Cherokee . And all of a sudden my trans wouldnt downshift or shift at all by itself. I can shift manually. Also sometimes i get second for a split second and then to third. Sometimes the torque converter locks in overdrive and sometimes it doesnt. Replace tps. Did the shift mod trick as well and it gave me 2 and 3 . But wanted to kick out of gear. Fluid is full and good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know what you mean by " shift mod trick " , but if you can manually shift up and down , the solenoids may not be receiving a signal from the aw4 module under the dash. You can try swapping a known good module if you can get one , its unlikely that both solenoids are bad but should be checked diagnostically. It would be good to check TPS reading to verify that it is feeding back a proper signal as yes , a TPS does tell the PCM along with the VSS that engine rpm is raising or lowering and road speed as well. I will respect your thoughts about the torque converter as a bad converter will slip and cause trans line pressure to drop and the trans module will react accordingly but you want to be sure the module itself is good . Do not rule out any wiring harness problems from under dash controller to transmission.

Thank you for the help. My od solenoid is bad. So I'm replacing all 3 tomorrow. I'll post my results for future help for someone else

Your most welcome , hope all will be fine after the solenoid swap . Looking forward to your follow up posts as they are always welcome and appreciated. Thanks again . Greg

Alright. I replaced my solenoids. And now my computer ended its own life. Have another one coming. But solenoids made a major improvement. It is a double problem this time. When the computer comes in I'll let you know.

Alright. I replaced my solenoids. And now my computer ended its own life. Have another one coming. But solenoids made a major improvement. It is a double problem this time. When the computer comes in I'll let you know.

Wow , what are the odds ! Hoping all will go well after PCM replacement . Will look for your posts when able. Sorry for the PCM suicide. Sorry , but was it the PCM or the TCM ?

Sorry on not being more clear. Tcm came today. Out of a 93. Took battery terminals off. Touched them to discharge system. Installed new tcm under dash. Now it's shifting even better then when i first got it.

Sorry on not being more clear. Tcm came today. Out of a 93. Took battery terminals off. Touched them to discharge system. Installed new tcm under dash. Now it's shifting even better then when i first got it.

Darn glad to hear that ! Great job !

Back