03 Jeep Liberty Key will turn on but not crank the engine???

oem3409

Had no issues with Jeep until now. I stopped at store, came out to start jeep nothing. I can turn the key to the acc setting backwards no problem, and to the acc setting forward no problems. Everything works, however it seems the key will not turn any further to engage the starter and turn the vehicle over? Never seen this issue before and Ive searched and have no clue what could be wrong. Any help would be great. Thank you!!

03 Jeep Liberty 5.7

Wow ! It's becoming an epidemic ! 54cj3b posted on 8/17/13 about the same problem , if your jeep has the same problem , that is. A linkage part in the steering column from the ignition lock to the ignition switch on the column breaks and does not let you turn on the ignition leading you to believe you got a dead battery or or an electrical problem . Pull the lower steering column trim off and check if the ignition lock is cycling the linkage to the switch . You may find it broken .
If that is the case , this is a tough one. If I read your post right , you do get ignition ON position but cannot engage START . If you can find the wire that energizes the starter solenoid , you can rig a temporary push button switch to crank the starter . You'll just need a fused power source from the fuse box . Better than leaving a remote starter hooked up , or hooking it up every time you want to start the jeep . Not real convenient. Hope Chrysler recalls on this soon or at least sells replacement parts , even after market ( Dorman ) should step up with one !

p.s. - isn't your jeep a 3.7 ? You posted , 5.7

Remove the steering column covers then separate the electrical switch from the ignition key tumbler housing. Use a small flathead screwdriver to manually turn the electrical ignition switch and see if it goes all the way to the crank position. If it does, the problem is likely in the ignition tumbler housing. Note: if the vehicle is equipped with a security system, place the key in the ignition tumbler on the run position so the security system doesn't see a theft event.

Key Comes out, it is a floor shift automatic. I took the plastic trim off the column and can see the ignition but not sure where to go from here. Even a push button for the starter would be fine for me till I can figure out what is wrong. Hoping to find time to get it fixed, but as work goes its hard to find spare time. Does anyone know where I would find a wiring schematic to correctly run a wire from the starter to a push button to see if this would do the trick. Of course problem 1 is Im not very mechanically inclined. I can wire almost anything but not good with parts but learn quick. Thank you to those who are sending feedback. Any help is appreciated.

Sean

Well , so much for pop starting it , no clutch. See if you can give SteelHeadz inspection procedure a shot , just to try to diagnose it. It will tell what is broke so that you'll know what needs fixing/replacement. But to temporarily install a push button , try signing on to AUTOZONE's website and search their wiring diagrams for color codes from starting system for proper solenoid wire to jump. Be absolutely sure of the right one , don't want to burn up a circuit or hurt PCM .

youll have to try from a desk top or lap top , my ipad2 won't open a PDF and my two desktops will take FOREVER to boot . Sign in , click vehicle repair guide (on left bar) , wiring diagrams (in blue print) , select a chapter - starting system 2003 ( left side bar) and scroll through diagrams. Best of luck . Greg

Last edited:
See if you can bump the starter with a screw driver. Could be a bad starter. Start there first. Autozone can test it for you

See if you can bump the starter with a screw driver. Could be a bad starter. Start there first. Autozone can test it for you

Can't hurt to climb under and jump out the solenoid to try and crank it, at least you'll find out if the starter drive is jamming like tass10 said . If it dosen't go , try rapping on it with a ball peen hammer to shock the drive to engage as the solenoid is engaged.
Just don't engage the solenoid too long with the starter frozen, the starter and the starting system wiring and circuit will get hot !

You can also try to bump the starter with the relay on the PDC under the hood. Remove the relay housing cover then pinch the reed contact switch momentarily to see if engages the starter. Keep your hands and body clear away from any moving parts of the engine compartment.

One of my BIGGEST pet peeves is open ended threads like this where the answer to the problem is never posted. There are so may issues that it could have been, that it would be helpful to unknown numbers of people searching the web for answers to similar problems. For example, question never asked was CAN the key be turned to the START position? if not there are only two places the problem can be, first is in the tumbler itself, which is very easy to remove with a pin and the key, and have a locksmith repair. The second place is in the column, to test that, take the tumbler out and insert a screw driver, and turn, does it start? if it doesn't turn, the problem is in the linkage or physical switch, both of which are mounted to the column below the dash covers. The next thing to check if the key DOES turn all the way is the starter Solenoid. simple enough with a 12 vlt trouble light or a meter ground one side of the test device and hook the other to the solenoid input and have someone turn the key to start. do you get voltage? Yes? bad solenoid . NO? check the master fuses in the engine compartment. IF the solenoid IS operating and noted by a solid CLICK but no spin, its either a bad solenoid or starter. clattering clicks power connection to solenoid or battery. It really is that simple. But don't start a thread and walk away from it and leave people who tried to help wondering. You are also leaving others looking for help high and dry.
I try to close threads like this, when I find them, so that they are useful to those in need. Even though others may cry about resurrecting an old thread. It may be old but its only useless if there is no answer posted.

One of my BIGGEST pet peeves is open ended threads like this where the answer to the problem is never posted. There are so may issues that it could have been, that it would be helpful to unknown numbers of people searching the web for answers to similar problems. For example, question never asked was CAN the key be turned to the START position? if not there are only two places the problem can be, first is in the tumbler itself, which is very easy to remove with a pin and the key, and have a locksmith repair. The second place is in the column, to test that, take the tumbler out and insert a screw driver, and turn, does it start? if it doesn't turn, the problem is in the linkage or physical switch, both of which are mounted to the column below the dash covers. The next thing to check if the key DOES turn all the way is the starter Solenoid. simple enough with a 12 vlt trouble light or a meter ground one side of the test device and hook the other to the solenoid input and have someone turn the key to start. do you get voltage? Yes? bad solenoid . NO? check the master fuses in the engine compartment. IF the solenoid IS operating and noted by a solid CLICK but no spin, its either a bad solenoid or starter. clattering clicks power connection to solenoid or battery. It really is that simple. But don't start a thread and walk away from it and leave people who tried to help wondering. You are also leaving others looking for help high and dry.
I try to close threads like this, when I find them, so that they are useful to those in need. Even though others may cry about resurrecting an old thread. It may be old but its only useless if there is no answer posted.

Well I'm glad you resurrected it, as my son is having this very problem with his 04 Liberty. I found all the suggestions given useful and tomorrow after work I plan on digging into it. I'll comeback and let everyone know what I found...I suspect it's a broken linkage, but we will see.
New forum member here...I also run a 2015 JK Sahara Unlimited...so I'll be hanging out here a little more I suspect. I appreciate the info also.Thanks Jeepz!

Ok, for anybody else looking for help on this... We found the
Ignition actuator at O'Reilly for only $40 part number Dorman 924-704 I hope this helps in the future.
Wow ! It's becoming an epidemic ! 54cj3b posted on 8/17/13 about the same problem , if your jeep has the same problem , that is. A linkage part in the steering column from the ignition lock to the ignition switch on the column breaks and does not let you turn on the ignition leading you to believe you got a dead battery or or an electrical problem . Pull the lower steering column trim off and check if the ignition lock is cycling the linkage to the switch . You may find it broken .
If that is the case , this is a tough one. If I read your post right , you do get ignition ON position but cannot engage START . If you can find the wire that energizes the starter solenoid , you can rig a temporary push button switch to crank the starter . You'll just need a fused power source from the fuse box . Better than leaving a remote starter hooked up , or hooking it up every time you want to start the jeep . Not real convenient. Hope Chrysler recalls on this soon or at least sells replacement parts , even after market ( Dorman ) should step up with one !

p.s. - isn't your jeep a 3.7 ? You posted , 5.7

Well done Omerta939 and icequeen.

Doorman also has a good video on how to replace it

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

I found a quick fix for this problem and made a video about it on youtube. Here is the link:
Hope it can help somebody in a similar jam!
I didnt realize I already posted this solution here, sry.

Last edited:
Nice video. Be careful to be in Park or Neutral when starting.

When the bar pin goes bad you are left like that but there is no click in the key when turning. So I'd say it's the ign switch or the park and or neutral safety switch.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
Back