Wj 242j sounds bad

Bentbolt

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I put my wj in 4wd today and it sounds really bad like the metal was grinding on metal. I popped it back in 2wd got home and checked the fluid she was little low tipped her off and it didn't help much if at all.it does it when I turned l and r still made noise but when I turned left it was more then when I turn right, thought it might be a axle be it was popping and grinding. I turn her on our side road and if your on the gas the noise goes away and left off and then no much noise. Put back in 2wd and did same test and drove like she did yesterday. Crawled under it checked u joints and they felt good. Jacked the front end up and they had a lot of play (wheels turn forward and back) so I crawled back to tcase and in can turn front drive shaft at least 3/8 of an inch. Thought maybe chain is stretched. I can feel a vib in the tcase shifter only when it's in 4wd and that's when I heard the noises too. Need to get fixed ASAP and cheap. Thanks

The more I mess with is the more I think the t-case has too much play in it. How far should I be able to turn the drive shafts[/FONT]

Change the fluid in the t-case and front differential, inspect the t-case fluid for metal shavings. Check the magnetic drain plug for shavings.

I pulled the front drive shaft out yesterday and when I shifted the t case it still made the grinding sound but it wasn't as bad.

Back