pinion angle

Although I cannot truly answer your question , a seven inch lift is extreme and will , at the minimum , require a t-case drop so that the drive line angles will be consistent . I'm sure you know that trans/t-case centerline must agree with pinion centerline in terms of being level .
That will most certainly need for the driveshafts to be the correct length to achieve that .
The only question I have is , does the engine need to be dropped as well to help keep the centerline level with the body ? I don't have the specifications which are something along the lines of a formula to keep all parts consistent . I would think that the engine centerline , trans , t-case must first be level with the body but dropped below the original factory installed position so that the lower pinion centerline is consistent with the powertrain/drivetrain centerline . Most important is these centerline have to be the same or close to same to avoid u-joint stress and failure. This seems to be asking a lot , but in order for all to work together and play nice with each other , they must agree. Someone must have the "formula " to tell powertrain/drivetrain drop with pinion drop to achieve equal and consistent centerlines to be level with each other to achieve this seven inch drop. You know you just can't install hi-lift springs and increase u-joint angle and expect it to work,. U-joints can only swivel up,to a certain angle before they'll fail.
hence , the reason for powertrain/drivetrain drop. This is to keep the u-joint angles correct.
I know I did not answer the question , but I just wanted to give you something to think about , not knowing if you had a grasp on the effects of lift versus angle. When u-joints are out of phase with each other , on both front and rear shafts too , failure is inevitable. We don't want you to begin ordering parts and finding that they won't work together. I believe you know this or have an idea at least or wouldn't have posed the question. Yes , try to research as well but I hope soon you will hear from a member who has successfully performed a lift of this much.

Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts - Driveline 101 The link is from TomWoods drive shafts. Great info. Bacon

Excellent article ! Thank you . A very honest answer to anyone's question regarding angle and degrees . In the case of this 7 inch lift , it is going to come down to measurements taken . With the jeep up on jack stands and zero leveled or closest to it , the powertrain/ drivetrain angle in degrees must be found and the axle degrees must match. We must not forget that if the jeep on jack stands is not zero level since is very difficult to achieve perfection , we must adjust calculations to compensate. Most important as pointed out in the article is not to go over the maximum degrees stated with suspension topped out or bottomed out ( axle droop) or failure is certain. After the required angles are met and found and all hardware secure and welded , measurements for correct driveshaft length must be met as well. Thanks for a great post . Greg

What should the pinion angle be on the front and rear diff on a 93 jeep grand Cherokee with a 7 inch lift?
There's no set answer to this, varies by vehicle. Purchase an angle finder and follow the following diagrams based on which type of driveshaft you have. The front axle will be a little tricky as you'll have to find a happy medium between caster angle and pinion angle, difficult to do with that much lift.

2joint_angle-1.gif

cv_angle-1.gif

Back