95 Grand Cherokee Subtle Vibration/ Noise In Font

jox5

Hey guys, recently I have notice a very slight vibration in the front of the car when I hit certain speeds 45, 65 and when I decelerate. I notice it most when I'm on the highway. The noise is almost like my tires are not positioned right, or a wheel bearing may have went. Their is no clunking or knocking, I do feel some vibration in the steering wheel but the noise is much more noticeable. My worry is that it may not even be suspension. Perhaps a transmission issue? Any ideas before I take out the jacks in 20 degree weather? haha.

Hopefully your jeep is not coming down with early symptoms of the dreaded death wobble , but you will unfortunately have to dress warm and jack it up to do a good inspection. You ought to check the track bar but I'm thinking more on the wheels themselves . Get a good solid bar under each wheel and pry up and have someone look for movement . You want to look at ball joints , hub bearing , steering linkage and even control arms to see where the most play exists .
Dosent sound too bad as you describe it but since it's a highway vehicle , you want to know of something's wearing now before something bad happens. Sorry to send you out in the cold but there has been some calamities involving our members and anything we can do to prevent another , we got to try. Hope it won't cost too much either . Greg

I managed to find the time to look at the jeep last week. I found my tie rods and ends had some movement. I decided to change those. I was also told to go after the ball joints due to my uneven tire wear. I did both sides (upper and lower) I Noticed my sway bar bushings were ripped. I changed the arms and the Bushings. Next the lower control arms looked pretty beat up. I changed those. (they didn't come out as easy as I thought) Finally the main culprit I think was the loose wheel bearing. The hub was loose around the seal which could have been why my tire was making the noise. All in all it was a 3 day project in the rain.

Yep, the last thing it needs is a new power steering pump. The reservoir seal gave out and started leaking on my inner tie rod end. Thankfully I already have the part. The only thing I need is the rental puller tool.

Back