96 cherokee-check engine light and associated problems

redqueen

Help! 96 Cherokee 6 cylinder. check engine lite comes on, I go to O'Reillys and they pull the codes off it and tell me it's the oxygen sensor. Have the local shop replace it. They pull the codes and tell me it's misfiring on all 6 cylinders. I had no problems starting it, even when it was REALLY cold here. Didn't even feel it misfiring when I was driving it. Left the mechanics shop, drove it to work next day and the check engine lite comes back on. Now I can feel it misfire occasionally. Take it back to the shop and they pull the codes and tell me that not only is it misfiring but they can see that the coil is cracked. We replace that. I drive it to work and a day later the check engine light comes on and I can feel it misfire occasionally. Randomly it stalls out but it always starts right back up. Back to the shop we go and they pull the codes and it again references the coil and it turns out the coil (new one) was faulty so they replace it and off I go. Drive it to work the next day and it misfires and the check engine light comes on. Next day off it goes into the shop and they do a tune up-new spark plugs, new wires, new rotor whatever else and change the oil. Take it home and drive it to work the next day and it misfires and the check engine lite comes on yet again.....
Now, what I have noticed is that it runs better in the early morning and almost always has some sort of problem on my way home from work. It stalls out at least once a day now, almost always on the way home when it's warmer (?). Yesterday it stalled out at a stop light and it absolutely did not want to restart. I put on the flashers and let it sit for maybe 5 minutes and then it started up like there was no problem. Today on the way home from work it stalled out, wouldn't restart till it sat for a couple of minutes then started okay. Five minutes down the road it lost power and began to coast to a stop, none of the idiot lites on the dash came on but it had no power and just slowly began to coast to a stop until it got down to about 15-20 miles an hour and then it powered up again and ran fine until I got home (perhaps another half hour.) This last time it never actually stalled out and I didn't have to restart it but it definitely completely lost power until it had dropped down to about 20 mph or low rpm's.
Anybody got "the answer"--Jeez I sure hope so, and if not how bout some suggestions? Thanks in advance.....

Redqueen......My engine light comes on also and sometimes it goes off after a few times starting it. Your other problems sound like something I had. I had to replace the distributor and have had no problems for a few years now. I was told my 96 was bad about eating distributors. Just thought I would pass it on.
Texarkana, AR

Redqueen......My engine light comes on also and sometimes it goes off after a few times starting it. Your other problems sound like something I had. I had to replace the distributor and have had no problems for a few years now. I was told my 96 was bad about eating distributors. Just thought I would pass it on.
Texarkana, AR

Thanks! I'll pass that along to the mechanic tomorrow morning

Back