Jumps on turns

Interesting reading - thank all of you for your input. My particular Cherokee uses CV joints at the axles, otherwise I would have looked at the axle joints. The CV's make no noise on turns, but I get a moaning/groaning sound from somewhere on turns. The driveline also seems to bind on long, sweeping turns. I am trying to "baby" it to make it last as long as I can. Thank you again for all of your input. Jeff

Sounds like it may be in part time 4x4. That will cause wind up. Or the tcase is running out of oil

Nope none of the above. Found out last night that the broken hearted jeeper tried to align the front end himself and totally screwed it up resulting in wearing out a good set of tires. The jump came from him haveing the tires toed out to much.
He had me in tears laughing my a$$ off telling me that he was going 55 mph, and it started shakeing uncontrolably that he took his hands off the steering wheel and it straightned out.
To make a long story short, I had told him of a way to check your alignment useing a tape measure. [ I read this somewhere, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong]
Measure from the outside groove on the tire, front of tire. Then take a measurement on the backside of the tire same groove . The measurement should be pretty close [ I assume] his was 1/2 an inch off, so we readjusted so it was with in an 1/8 th of an inch, and now there is very little jump except on an extremely sharp turn. So things are better but not perfect.

I use 2 2x6s with a nail sticking up near the end and C clamp to hold them together. Lift the front, Spin the tire and mark roughly centerline of both with a tire chalk. Drop it down and roll a few feet then measure front and back.

Back