2002 grand cherokee - LOUD clunking noise when braking...

glp004

I'm new here and am looking for help!
I got all new brake pads, new front rotors - factory, back rotors resurfaced...now, when I brake it makes a loud clunking noise from the front.
The mechanic is going to look at it again, but it was NOT making this noise before the brake work and I'm just trying to get educated on what the problem could be.
the noise does vary with light/heavy braking & it does "clunk" faster when I'm slowing from a faster speed.
127k miles, no modifications

Check the calipers. Either they are loose, or one of the pads is loose most likely. You are probably hearing the pads clunk against the mounts.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Agree with graewulf , pad placement is the number one fault of front brakes. If a pad or pads don't sit right or bind due to the paint some reliners use , it interferes with smooth slide action needed for efficient and quiet action needed. Possibly rubbing on the calipers casting and sticking causing the pads to unclip from their mounting. Be sure to that the mounting bushings are not worn or damaged ( due to difficult removal from corrosion) , this causes binding as well . If the caliper pistons are ok and move in and out normal , then the pads and how they are mounted and maybe hardware is to blame.

Okay, update:
it was one of the new rotors.
New rotor + new pads = loud clunking
new rotor + old pads = loud clunking
old rotor + new pads = golden silence

the mechanic said when he got it out of the box he saw a little rust, but cleaned it really well. Apparently this one was machined incorrectly or something.

I am going to try & return it...and they better pay my shipping!

there was a seized/rusted caliper pin, so thanks for the advice to check those!

This is the very reason I like to get whatever parts I can from the parts store so that issues like this are easier to rectify . No RMA , no hassle , just give me back my money and I'm going somewhere else. It's bad enough we have to deal with inferior parts such as rotors that may warp or alleged anti corrosive coatings that don't , but I hate to have to pay the shipping to return.
Im only sorry you had to go,through it to.

I was able to take it to the local dealership and do a part exchange under warranty. I go pick up my new rotor tomorrow. The sales guy at Chrysler Factory Parts (online) was super helpful & worked with the dealership parts dept to get my issue resolved.

Real glad you found a good counter guy at the dealer that wants to help ( not common here) and doesn't want to take you over the barrel ( common here) . Just glad someone had a happy ending at the dealer. :shades: Keep it Rollin' ! Greg

Back