98 JGC for sale

98 Jeep

Can anyone suggest where I can sell this Jeep, I've had many inquiries but 2 people came to see it and passed on it. I've had it on Auto Trader which is a joke and numerous places on Craig's list which was frightening. I've been at this over 2 months and it is really frustrating to say the least. It is a beautiful Jeep, the outside is in almost perfect condition, I've invested close to 5 grand getting this thing to run great, but it seems next to impossible to sell. I put my Firebird on Craig's list and it was sold within a week. I really would like a newer model, this one is just plain too loud, but it is so nice looking I don't understand y no one wants it.

Perhaps through word of mouth some of you might know someone who would want a great looking Jeep, if u do please reply.

thanks much

Sorry for no pics just look it up on car garus [h=3]1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4WD, things to look for, it expires July 16th, so far has 411 views, Good Deal $960 below instant market value of $5255.00, 15 pics,mileage 106,121, it is slightly higher now since I sold my Firebird.[/h]

Price is the magc seller. If you don't need to sell it soon, Someone will come along sooner or later and want just what you got and may pay the price. If you want to sell it sooner, You have to lower the price. From what i have found retail price is about $5,000 for a GC 5.9. Clean trade is about $3,000. I don't know where you're from, but around here a private seller can never expect any more than trade in price for something no matter how many mods are done to it. You just can't get your money back for any mods that you do to a rig and since you're not a dealer the're not going to get the percs that a dealer offers.
Good luck with it.

I'm from eastern PA and I'd like to at least get back some of the $5000.00 I have put into this jeep to get it running without any problems. I am willing to come down on the price but I do not want to just give it away , that's why the price listed may seem high, like they say start high you can always come down, but if you go too low you loose.

I still have the jeep, yet another guy came up yesterday to take a look at it, outside is in almost perfect condition no rust anywhere to be seen, but it has developed a noise in the rear of the car, so I may as well run it over a bank and be done with it. I am so tired of trying to sell this thing I could scream. The noise could be a bearing or something like my friend explained to be like "spider gears" I have no clue what this is, but if anyone wants it $2800.00 it's yours, beautiful SUV but needs some work.

Could be an aluminum D44 rear which has a bad rep and $$$ to fix. I swapped my son's for an 8.25 about 200,000 miles ago.

Thanks for all the tips, not sure I want to spend all kinds of money on a 15 year old car.

If you are mechanical you could find a D35 or 8.25 (better) to swap in for reasonable. My last 2 rear diffs were $100 each.

Sorry, but I am not at all mechanical, I can change a tire, jump a dead battery check the transmission & oil, fill the windshield washer stuff, but that is the extent of my knowledge of cars. I think I might have a buyer. We had a couple look at it today and the person interested fell in love with it. So my fingers are crossed that this works out. If it does where do I find a nice 2003 or 04 black JGC, maybe Laredo for sale, low mileage, good condition. I really don't want to b with out a car for too long. I feel like I'm up s_ _ t creek without a paddle.

we just bought a 98 jgc limited for super duper cheap. paid 2k i think, i don't remember exactly. grand cherokees don;t hold value well, for some odd reason. they are great trucks but just don;t resell that well. ours has 140k or 150k miles on it. the guy had it for sale for two months and no one bit. i think he was just glad to have it gone, also.

My apologies to all who replied to this msg. I sold the Jeep on July 15th. I am now without a car for 1 month. Can't find anything anywhere. I did manage to get to Allentown with a friend of mine who knows a lot about cars, he helped me sell both my cars & is helping me look for one, we looked at a 99 JGC with 80,000 miles which just does not seem right, maybe 180,000 because that one was burning oil & my friend said I would b putting in a new motor within a year. Found one on Craig's list a 2004 which is the exact one I want, it was black which is the color I want but, he wants $5K and i am having a problem with the miles 140,000. The one I sold had 106,000, I paid $5000 for it 4 years ago and put in a little over $5K. Is that what I'm in for if I were to buy the one from Craig's list, + it is a pain driving 1 and a half hrs sometimes 2 hrs to look at a car and come home with nothing. I am so disgusted. There is some clown of a dealer about 4 miles from where we live who is selling a 2004 JGC with 52,000 miles for $10,995. Unreal. I realize the mileage is low but c'mon $11,000? I did take it for a drive and it was just some plain looking car with just the basics. Besides the sales person was an ASS.
The jeep I just sold, I was asking 4295.00, I knew I would not get that but they say start high u can always come down, so I let it go for $3800.00, he was so happy with that Jeep, it reminded me of myself when I first saw it, I just had to have it. I do miss it but it was time to let it go. Now if I can only find one, life would be good. I'm just so sick & tired of looking on the internet. Some dealer is trying to push a black Kia on me. I want a jeep, is that too much to ask for?

Sorry this is so long, but it helps to vent a little. Will keep u posted if I ever find anything I like.

I'm sorry, the one I looked at on Craig's list is not $5000.00, he wants $5400.00 Is it worth it?

Last edited:

Yeah I really miss that jeep, nothing to wash anymore & keep nice & clean.

Well I am very happy to say, I finally bought a black 2005 JGC this past Tuesday from a dealer in Scranton PA with 86,000 miles. It looks like it just came out of the showroom. Can't say how good it feels to have this over & done with. I probably looked at thousands of cars mostly on the internet and dealerships around here. Very frustrating. Every night at 1AM I'd get on the laptop and start the hunt that continued since I sold the Firebird in May. So now I have my own car and don't have to borrow one from someone in the house, I just don't like driving other people's cars, always afraid of an accident.

The car I bought is not very fancy it has the basics which is fine by me, the way I look at it the more things u have on a car the more trouble you have. I found that out with the 98.

I did try to get a picture of it on here using photobucket but can't to begin to tell u the problems I got doing that. Picked up some nasty s!!t and took a good hour to get rid of all the programs that kept getting installed, it was a nightmare. I will try to change my member photo to the new car but I am staying away from photobucket.

Anyway thanks everyone for all the comments especially "superj" who said "just keep looking, it takes a bit of time" yes, time it did take but I'm happy now.

Back