1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee A/C motor/fan blowing...no air!

Iatemine

Hi Guys,
My Son's 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee is having AC problems. When turned on I hold my head down in the passenger leg area, I can hear the AC running, sounds like air is being pushed through strongly, problem is it is not coming out of the vents. I feel cold air coming out of the windshield vents at a much reduced level but nothing to the passenger area.
I have replaced resistors on 2 other cars and it is not that, the fan speeds all work and I can hear the motor running harder or softer when adjusting levels.
Any ideas? Thank You!

Thanks very much for the info!
I will look into that, but now the plot thickens. My Son now informs Me that He had gone to the Car Wash and had lifted the hood and spray-washed the motor to remove some dirt. Right after this, the existing problem occurred as well as His cruise control stopped working.
I found online that a disconnected vacuum hose on the air intake manifold can cause both of these problems to exist together. (which may have happened due to the engine power washing?)
My problem now is locating this hose!
Anyone know where this specific hose is located?

Last edited:

Thanks very much for the info!
I will look into that, but now the plot thickens. My Son now informs Me that He had gone to the Car Wash and had lifted the hood and spray-washed the motor to remove some dirt. Right after this, the existing problem occurred as well as His cruise control stopped working.
I found online that a disconnected vacuum hose on the air intake manifold can cause both of these problems to exist together. (which may have happened due to the engine power washing?)
My problem now is locating this hose!
Anyone know where this specific hose is located?

I could write a long explanation or you could use WJJeeps.com - Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 1999-2004

Trust me, it will become your bible. Join North American Grand Cherokee Association forum too.

Finally an update to this issue, My son had the jeep away at college and came home for the weekend.

I checked for the possible un-plugging of the vacuum hose , it hangs down on the drivers side just in front of the firewall, just left of the brake fluid and plugs on to a nipple on the manifold just behind and next to the rear spark plug. Sure enough it was hanging loose. I am pretty sure I accidentally disconnected this while installing new shocks as my hand was wriggling through the area to work on the top shock screws. (thumps forehead)
Anyways, reconnected and both the air blower and the cruise control are working great. Hope this can help someone in the future.

Thanks for the comments, they helped me find the answer!

Not to say what you did and what it fixed is untrue, but a disco'd vacuum hose fixing air flow and cruise control? The two are completely different and have totally different on/off procedures and mechanisms.

I'm going to have to tear into my FSM because that just doesn't make sense. Then again...it is a WJ.

i bet that was exactly the issue. cruise and the hvac system both work off vacuum so i can easily see that being what happened. especially on grand cherokees. on some vehicles, yes, they are completely different systems but grand cherokees are set up different that everyting else

Hi Guys, My Son's 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee is having AC problems. When turned on I hold my head down in the passenger leg area, I can hear the AC running, sounds like air is being pushed through strongly, problem is it is not coming out of the vents. I feel cold air coming out of the windshield vents at a much reduced level but nothing to the passenger area. I have replaced resistors on 2 other cars and it is not that, the fan speeds all work and I can hear the motor running harder or softer when adjusting levels. Any ideas? Thank You!

Vacuum leak causing the vent select to stay at home (defrost)

Back