1990 Laredo Electrical issues.

Jeep1990

Needing some real help. Have been at this for over a month and just keep changing out parts with no real fix. Everything electrical in the jeep is going crazy. If I have my ac on and push the brake it turns off. If I turn left my radio turns off. My gauges are all messed up. And when I turn the car off and take out the key, the temp needle starts slowly going all the way up. A bad hot wire is something I have been told but have run through almost all my wire and can't seem to find a bad one. Another is before it started this my motor mount came off and put a hole in my oil filter, putting oil over everything under the hood. A few days later is when I started having this problem. Something else I was told is that it could be the regulator in the alternator. It is about the only thing I have not changed so far.

are you pulling any codes? Have you tested your regulator and alternator? I would play with it and grab a second person inside the truck to do what it is that's tripping your issues while with a meter at the reg. and alt.and see what kind of values you get. As well (you said you ran through almost all your wire) but I would check all connection's and any splices, anything taped together ect. Because you mount broke.. did motor drop much? Possible pulled connector(s) splice(s) apart, pinched wiring. Contacts are clean? Because oil splattered everywhere. good luck

are you pulling any codes? Have you tested your regulator and alternator? I would play with it and grab a second person inside the truck to do what it is that's tripping your issues while with a meter at the reg. and alt.and see what kind of values you get. As well (you said you ran through almost all your wire) but I would check all connection's and any splices, anything taped together ect. Because you mount broke.. did motor drop much? Possible pulled connector(s) splice(s) apart, pinched wiring. Contacts are clean? Because oil splattered everywhere. good luck

What he said Thanks Drew
And you might want to pay close attention to any wiring harness that comes close to your exhaust system, because it sounds like all your wires are melted together somehow ?

I need an OBD1 to test it and can't find anyone with that. I have had the Alt tested and was told the regulator is inside of mine. Cleaning seems to be all I have been doing and making sure all things are on like they should be. Melted wires or dirty ones is what I am thinking of but I'm running out of ones to check.

can you pull codes with a voltmeter that has an analog setting? On my '91 DSM (for example) I can use pins 1 & 10 with a meter and the sliding/pulsing values are the code. I also know certain year jeeps(not sure which) you can turn ignition on/off in some order to draw a code. Worth looking into or even paying the 50$ to have codes pulled at a shop. And just a shot in the dark here, but I would almost check my ECM/ECU to see if maybe harness pulled away from the contacts.If motor dropped, possible it pulled wiring through the firewall. Also to keep in mind, It is possible to pull pins/wire out from the a harness if motor drop put strain on wiring

Last edited:
Back