What to do about starter threads stripping out?

JamesTheScot

So I am taking off my bad starter and after I get it free I notice that the bottom bolt (the one that goes through the starter into the block) has about three turns worth of the female threads from the block have stripped and are pressed into it.

By my estimation, just kinda eyeballing the length of the bolt and takinginto account the depth of the starter flange, this is about 1/2 of the total threads that engage when the bolt is tightened.

So I've installed the new starter and there was enough thread left for the bolt threads to bite and to tighten down the bolt, but I definitely didn't tighten very hard and I am worried that the remaining threads are compromised and may give way as the starter tries to torque when starting. The top bolt seems solid. I checked again after several starts and everything seems tight, but I am still worried.

Anyone experience this before? Is there a solution? I assume the hole could be enlarged and re-threaded, but that would require the starter hole to be enlarged as well.

Anyone have any idea as to whether I am worrying too much, not enough, or what options there may be?

Hello again James . You can try to restore the treads on the bolt with a die the proper thread pitch and size . I think they may be 3/8" x 24 TPI ( threads per inch) . A tap the same size may restore the hole . If that dosen't work , you'll have to use a thread repair kit . Heli-coil kits work well. Try the tap and die with some cutting oil first . May save some time. Your very right to be concerned since the starter torque is great and you'll want to be sure you've got a good secure bite . Hope this helps and let us know how it fairs. Best of luck James . Greg
P.S.- there is a trick I've used once and it worked if your threads in the hole are a little loose after the tap is used . JB weld applied in the hole . After it sets and is still workable , spray a releasing agent on the bolt and carefully thread it into the hole and let the JB weld set a little longer and remove to let it finish curing . Cooking spray can work as a releasing agent . The trick is to get the hang of the setting and curing process which will be the secret to your success . If you can find something to practice on it will be beneficial to success . Once again , hoping this helps and works well for you . Greg

Last edited:
Agree with heli-coils being you best bet. I wouldn't use an original hole sized tap though to restore a threaded hole. A tap will take away material and might do the opposite of what our trying to accomplish and have to install heli-coil any way. Something to try to clean up your threads..If you take an original sized bolt(for the hole your cleaning up) and cut a groove/slot/channel whatever you want to call it, lengthwise of the bolt (Head to tip) clean it up so you can thread it in.and thread it in and out should clean it up without removing much needed material. :beer:

Back