Liberty continually running hot

jberg25

2007 Liberty 3.7 six speed. About six weeks/500 miles ago, I had the radiator flushed and thermostat replaced after I lost the heater and the gage went from cold to overheating in minutes. Everything was great until a couple days ago when in heavy traffic driving, it went to running 3/4 hot. There was no loss of coolant, and antifreeze was clean. Changed oil, and the old stuff wasn't the dreaded 'milky' and was pretty much clean. Went on a 100-mile highway drive, and the gage fluctuated randomly between half and 3/4 pretty much the whole time, with the heater both on and off. Any thoughts?

I lost the heater

Could you elaborate on this? Do you have working heat now? If not, you could have a plugged up heater core.

Do you know if your fan is running (I'm assuming it's an electric fan). Also, are their any leaves or other debris in front of the radiator.

Welcome to Jeepz.com!

My thoughts are your water pump, or one of your sensors. can you confirm flow for water pump? When t-stat opens you should be able to feel flow through rad hose. Got 1&2 from a manual,something easy to check. 1. loosen off belt tension grab water pump pulley and rock it up and down. If play is felt, the shaft bearings are worn and should be replaced. 2. W/p have vent/weep holes. If failure occurs in pump seals, coolant will leak from holes. Do you ever smell coolant? or a drip?
As terrymason said, confirm operation of fan(s), check fuses and relays if not working.
To eliminate your head gasket, which will cause overheat, Check for coolant in the oil. Will be greenish bubbly oil on dipstick
And check coolant reservoir for oil in coolant, or because new fluid, if an oily ring in res. if you can see in there. Sometimes dipping a clean paper towel in there see what color it comes out can give an idea.
For sensors you would need a voltmeter and values for which ever sensor you're testing
ok so I don't know what your knowledge is; no offence, but DO NOT take off rad cap when it is hot, it is pressured up

Back