cold start

j gonzalez

in the morning when I start my truck during the cold start it makes like a piston slapping sound for about 10 seconds then it goes awayI've been trying to figure out what it is so I can get the problem fixed anybody have any idea I'm thinking it could be my oill pump or my piston skirts idk

Does it do this at any other time? Why do you suggest the oil pump, is pressure low? Have you narrowed it to the bottom end? Suggested piston slap, hear more from the top end? If you think piston, a compression test would give you more of an idea as far as maybe rings and valves condition. You getting oil passing or burning? if a tap is coming from your lash adjusters, it can be pretty difficult to pin point. Have a listen through the exhaust and see if there is any weird rattles or your slapping sound.What about the timing chains, tensioner, can get weak and chain can slap.And put it out of time if it jumps. I would try and get an ear in there and maybe you can get a better idea of where it's coming from

Does it do this at any other time? Why do you suggest the oil pump, is pressure low? Have you narrowed it to the bottom end? Suggested piston slap, hear more from the top end? If you think piston, a compression test would give you more of an idea as far as maybe rings and valves condition. You getting oil passing or burning? if a tap is coming from your lash adjusters, it can be pretty difficult to pin point. Have a listen through the exhaust and see if there is any weird rattles or your slapping sound.What about the timing chains, tensioner, can get weak and chain can slap.And put it out of time if it jumps. I would try and get an ear in there and maybe you can get a better idea of where it's coming from

done

I'll have a compression check done and have my timing looked at and it only does it when the trucks been sitting all night and is cold I didn't do it this morning when I started it but every once in awhile it makes a loud clanking noise and misfires for about 3 or 4 seconds maybe 10 seconds and then it stops after the truck warms up and I noticed during the summer time when I would let the truck sit for about 2 or 3 days without starting it when I finally started it does the same thing thanks for the input I'll check things out and let you know how it goes thank you

Back