How hard is it to replace an XJ transmission?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I've been looking for ways to make some extra cash, and am toying with the idea of flipping a Jeep or two. Looking on craigslist, there are a couple of XJs (97-2001) for less than a thousand dollars. They all read the same way - great shape, strong engine, but bad transmission.

The local pick-n-pull sells automatic transmissions for about $140.

I've never done a transmission swap. I've pulled the transfer case on my TJ, and it was a snap. The transmission looks like it would be straight forward, however pretty heavy (I'm guessing I'd need a transmission lift, or an adapter for my floor jack).

So what do you guys think, is throwing a transmission in an XJ a 4-5 hour bolt on deal, or is there considerably more to it?

Your starting to think like me. If I would apply myself a little harder , I would like to bring in extra cash too ! Trouble is , all the work I do is for friends and family so I never charge. But yes , the thought of making a couple of bucks is enticing. As far as pulling a transmission , I'm quite certain it's well within your scope. What I would suggest as I'm sure you've already considered is to get down to your local harbor freight and pick up a transmission Jack. I talked my brother and father into getting one for about $80 about two years ago when they had to drop a transmission on a '98 grand . It made the job SO much easier than man handling it to the floor. It can easily be done with one man. Gone are the days when two guys are muscling it up and down and no cussing to boot ! Pulling a transmission does involve some extra disassembly other than just the bolts on the bell housing and flex plate though. If you've pulled the t-case , you know there is shift linkage and maybe a console but that's the clean part of the job which is of course easy . Sometimes a little tedious when seats and rugs should be removed but on an XJ that isn't a big deal or even necessary since it's just a cable like the TJ. Once the crossmember is down with the jack supporting the trans , it's just a matter of reaching the cooler lines which on an XJ is fairly easy. With the trans tilted down some you will reach the bell housing bolts with long extensions easily. Like I said , I see this as not challenging for you since your already a competent DIY'er . I can see you attacking this with no fear. The transmission Jack would be all you'll need , I'm sure you've already got everything else. Oh , just pull off the inspection plate that allows access to the torque converter bolts ( respect the teeth around the flywheel , got some scars from a mishap in my teens) . I'm sure you know you can rotate the engine from the crank pulley to get to each torque bolt until all are off. Just break,it free from the block and lower the Jack . Once you've done it as you did your t-case , your a pro !
Got all the faith in you looking forward to you raking in the $$ ! Hope the misses dosen't mind all this stolen quality time too much . It becomes a habit that is hard to break . You'll just talk yourself into these jobs and before you know it , these jobs become weekend obsessions . Ask me how I know. Don't forget the throttle valve cable . Stuff like that are easy to forget once the jeep is up on Jack stands or ramps. But I'm all for it. Go for it brother !
OPP''S ! Forgot to mention ! Check,out the bell housing bolts on your TJ , you'll find that the top two are six point star drive like seat belt bolts . The XJ has these too. Have good quality sockets for these. That's the only hassle but you'll work that out as you have every other job you've ever done. Floor pan tunnel is a little tight but not scary . But check into the fastener thing to be prepared. A trip to the boneyard will give insight as you know to prepare food for thought. I love junkyards ! Best automotive educative I've ever had !

Last edited:
Regarding the bell housing bolts , different head style may be used on some years. The star bolts previously mentioned are actually external torx , not internal star. Other things to be removed/disconnected ; neutral safety switch harness up by firewall . Throttle valve cable at throttle body. Dipstick tube separates about mid way. Shift cable ( or did I mention that previously ?) . Exhaust will need to be unbolted and moved to side if not easily separated for removal . At least unbolt from exhaust header and undo bracket at catalytic converter on transmission crossmember. If I missed anything , I'll climb under my truck this weekend .

Wow, thanks Greg
The one I liked best sold the other day, but they seem to pop up all the time.
From what you've described, it sounds doable, but probably a full weekend type of thing (at least the first time).

Don't worry about crawling under your Jeep - it's too cold for that (at least where I am)!

Wow, thanks Greg
The one I liked best sold the other day, but they seem to pop up all the time.
From what you've described, it sounds doable, but probably a full weekend type of thing (at least the first time).

Don't worry about crawling under your Jeep - it's too cold for that (at least where I am)!
Yeah , it's a bit cold up here too. But if I had to peek , I'd make it quick. Lol. It would certainly be advisable to set aside a weekend to be safe. Reaching the bell housing bolts can sometimes be a little hard at top where the external torx are but if able to reach before starting trans removal , try from engine compartment to reach behind cylinder head and firewall with a gear wrench . That should at least break the torque if the wrench can't be swung satisfactory and the extension can be used under neath. The exhaust may present a problem in terms of being in the way but if able to push to one side , the trans can be pulled from the other. Sometimes we get lucky and mufflers separate to,pull intermediate pipe and sometimes we got to do what we got to do.
But your most welcome for the advice.

Back