Need Help with 2001 XJ

iforster04

Alright so here's the deal, awhile ago i bought my first jeep and i like it a lot. The only problem i have with it is that when i go to start it, it just doesn't start as quick as i'd like it to (it normally will take me 2 tries to get it started or about 30 sec of me turning the key the first time). I have replaced all the spark plugs and even put a new battery in it and I have no idea what it could be. If it helps the engine has a little over 150,000 on it, but its the 4.0 and I've heard these engines are practically almost bullet proof. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Try turning the key to run (not start) for 15sec before starting and see if it improves. Your fuel system likely isn't holding pressure when off.

Try turning the key to run (not start) for 15sec before starting and see if it improves. Your fuel system likely isn't holding pressure when off.
I tried that and it helped a little bit. So if my fuel system isn't holding pressure when off, is there a good chance I have to replace the fuel pump then? (I'm not too tech savy when it comes to cars)

You could get away with this for a long time. The valve is a part of the fuel pump assembly. However the valve failure is no indication of the pump failing.

You could try the on off two times for five seconds. In the first five to ten seconds the fuel pump primes and pressurized the system. Being the valve bleeds back the lines are empty. Ine cycle may not be enough to fully prime the line.

Back