2001 Grand Cherokee Speaker Issues

Catoctin Jeep

Official Vendor
Hope someone on here can help me out. I have a 2001 Jeep WJ with the none infinity stereo system. The problem is the door speakers. When the Jeep is cold only the dash speakers work, when it sits in the sun for awhile on a warm day then the door speakers kick in. I replaced the head unit over the weekend because the factory cd player hasn't worked for several years, it was time for an upgrade.

Well not to my surprise the speakers still do not work. So I unplugged each speaker and performed a continuity check from each speaker wire to the pin-outs behind the head unit, I have continuity.

Does anyone have any insight on this issue, I need music..
If one speaker goes bad will the rest follow?

Do you happen to have an amp? An amp problem could cause this.

Another option is an intermittent wiring issue. A common place for the wires to break is in the rubber boot between the door and the body. You could try turning the radio on, then slowly opening and closing the door and see if the speaker kicks in. I'm not sure if this will help since you checked continuity, but it's a easy test to preform.

^^2X^^ on the wires in the hinge area internally breaking from flex.

Run a temporary wire from the stereo to the speaker to see if it improves. Inspect the wires in/ on the speaker itself. I had a connector get torqued cracking the solder and leaving a open circuit.

Update on the speakers.

All wires passed the continuity check.
Here are the steps I took to figure this out.
1) Ran jumper wires to one of the front speakers and the speaker was still dead.
2) Performed an ohms test across the poles on all speakers and nothing.
3) Did the 9v battery test on all speakers, there was no audible pop of the magnet.

Every speaker was dead.

Replaced all speakers and now I have a nice audio system.... Finally

Back