Crank/Camshaft 2000 Cherokee Sport

gretzb

Jeep continues to not start after sensors replaced. Originally engine light code was cam shaft sensor. ??? Jeep has been with the mechanic since April.
2000 Cherokee Sport 130,000 miles

I had a crankshaft sensor go out on my jeep camnache pick up, took it to the repair shop several times till they got it fixed. never heard of a cam shaft sensor ? I hope they fix it for you because I know how it feels to be without your ride.

Cam sensor (CPS) is on the ODPA and the Crank sensor (CKP) is on the bell-housing. Both need to be OEM. Aftermarket can be bad out of the box. The CKP should have a paper gasket on the end this sets the spacing and gets rubbed off on the first start. Without it the sensor gets damaged on the first crank and will result in no start.

If in fact the sync signal is lost and there is no communication between the cam sensor and PCM , that will produce a no start. The cam sensor finds number 1 cylinder TDC to start the ignition firing order . The crank sensor then sequences the firing order for all cylinders . The crank sensor also gives the position for the sequential firing order for the injection system . Your 2000 model year will have an ODPA ( oil drive pump assembly ) which are known to fail whether the shaft internally seizes due to lubrication failure or the tab that flashes across the open window to make the sync signal breaks is the question . Both sensors must be checked to be certain . As we have posted many times in many threads , please use OEM parts to avoid failure " out of the box " of soon after. You'll pay more at the dealer but repeated visits to the chain stores ( no guarantee on electrical parts ) will add up to or exceed the price of OEM . The cam ( CMP ) and crank ( CKP ) sensors are two sensors vital to start up in addition to O2 sensors , coolant temp , MAP and MAF ( if equipped ) . But these two sensors establish #1 position TDC and firing order on all cylinders on start up and run so they must be diagnosed to find out if they are feeding back to the PCM vital info for start up and run. It is said an engine can start and run with a bad O2 and even a faulty CTS ( coolant temp sensor) but any of the afore mentioned sensors can cause a hard start / no start but depending on what degree of failing of the sensor bad communication or no communication may cause the PCM to default and start or not. Either way , the engine will run poorly or stall . Start with the inspection of the ODPA before it frags the engine if catastrophic failure is near , a seized oil drive pump assembly is not a good thing. Although a code hasn't set for the crank sensor , it would be good to check to be sure . Don't replace anything until your sure the part is bad . It's too easy to fall into the trap of replacing parts until,it starts . Introducing replacement parts with non-OEM parts will just make diagnostics more difficult. Test each part using shop manual or repair manual steps to diagnose. A good VOM meter ( volts - ohm meter ) will make this possible. Hope this helps . Please post your results when you can .

thanks JPNinPA , I knew you'll be here ! I'm just too slow on the keys ! Hope my post helps as much as his does .

the mechanic has ordered a new computer I'm at a loss I'm afraid this situation is going downhill quicklyany advice is greatly appreciated

They verified fuel pressure and spark or no spark!

PCM can go bad but it's not common. Not cheap either. Did they run a diagnostic test to verify it was bad?

Back