Liberty intake air box removal

jzjohnz

Anyone know the secret to removing the intake air filter box on a 2006 Liberty? I've read that there are no bolts or screws holding it down but is fastened to the fender well with plastic friction fasteners & all you're supposed to have to do is yank it upwards. I've tried that but it's either wrong or they're so tight that I'm afraid I'll break something.

Is there a trick to removing it?

Thanks.....

You might try taking a screwdriver or putty knife under the edge of the box to pry it up. If I remember correctly there are 3 fasteners that push down into grommets. Once you get it off you'll be amazed at how easy it was.

That's what I suspect, mark, but since it's never been removed before those plastic friction fasteners are so tight right now that it feels as though something will break. Thanks for the tip. Guess I'll just work on it little by little, like you suggest, until it starts to let go.

Thanks....

take the air filter out and you will see some indentation where the plastic studs protude from the bottom. spray wd40 or something slippery there and wait a sec. then give it a good pull up. just make sure there are no bolts holding anywhere else. they can be a pain sometime but that is how i do it at work.

Well, you all were correct. I was able to remove the airbox with a little effort. I was surprised to find that the retainers underneath were rubber & not the plastic bristle type that is usually used.

Before returning the airbox back to that spot, I removed the rubber grommets, cleaned them well, armor-alled them then did the same to the steel body area & everything popped back in very easily. Now that I know how simple it is I won't be letting the airbox get as grimy & greasy as is was before. Oil from the breather sponge dribbled in over the years & made a gooey mess at the bottom.

Back