Help with 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (starting & stalli

Most of the time, it runs great. However, I do have problems with starting, both hot and cold. Also, it stalls at ide - 70 MPH.

I put a new battery and did a tune-up with a diagnostic. There were not problems detected, that I am aware of.

Could it be a crank sensor?

Any help I can get is much appreciated.

Byron[addsig]

Also, I forgot to mention, sometimes when I am driving at high speed and it "stalls", I pump the accelerator pedal a couple of times and it starts going again.

I am not sure if that helps.

Byron[addsig]

I had a similar problem with my 94 cherokee, it would just wouldnt start one night, and then started to just shut off in the middle of driving. I knew it was'nt something fuel related because the car would start back up immediately after stalling. I had the crankshaft position sensor replaced, and havent had any more problems. However, you said pumping the accelerator helps it, so that may be a fuel-related problem, maybe the fuel pump. Does the car start right back up after you stall?[addsig]

If the vehicle stalls at ide, pumping the gas pedal will not revive it.

If the vehicle is stalling at 70 MPH, pumping the gas pedal works about 50% of the time. However, I am not 100% sure that it is actually stalling. It really feels like it is switching to a lower gear and just not responding anymore. By the time I pullover, it is definately not running. But, it may be actually running at 70 MPH.

It is difficult, somtimes, to start it right away, after it stalls. Most of the time, it starts right back. There are sometimes that it takes a couple of minutes though.

I am just not sure and definately frustrated by this experience!

Thanks.

Byron[addsig]

Byron:

Have you had any success with identifying the stalling problem? I too have a '94 JGC Laredo that seems to have very similar stalling symptoms. I am leaning towards the Crankshaft Position Sensor but am not certain that this is the problem. I have recently had a fuel injection service done by a Jeep dealer so it should not be the throttle body assembly. My JGC usually starts up right away as well but there has been one occassion where it required about 5 minutes before restarting. All of your other symptoms are practically identical to my problems

Brian[addsig]

my CPS went out a few months ago... it kinda sucked... did what you guys are talking about, but i don't think it had anything to do with 5 minutes or whatever...

replacing my cps was 80 bucks for the part, 45 for the tow, and about 220 all said and done including labor to get it all done. [addsig]

Dinqus:

Thanks for your guick feedback. I assume changing out the CPS has taken care of the stalling problem. Just registered on this message board as I result of looking for jeep ZJ owners who have had similar problems.

Brian[addsig]

actually, mine didn't have a problem with stalling, it just didn't start... i'd have a diagnostic test done before spending any money (especially because your '94 JGC has the built in diagnostics thing... just hold down both buttons on your computer in front of the shifter and put the key in and turn it... that'll bring up your on-board diagnostics.)[addsig]

dinqus and others:

Just a followup on my stalling issue. Decided to pursue crankshaft sensor replacement as more frequent stalling was occurring. One event left my wife sitting in the middle of intersection for which she was not too happy. Fortunately, the vehicle stalled as my local mechanic was driving it into his bay. Immediately put it on a diagnostic machine which further confirmed missing crank signal. Parts and labor for $110. I expected $200 as per other threads on this board. So far so good. Again, thanks for your input.

Brian
:cool: [addsig]

Back