courtesy lights

blackbob

Hi all, I have had a Cherokee Sport from new in 1997. I bought it in the UK and brought it to Cyprus in 2000. It is black and has no air con. A few weeks ago I saw a 1999 Cherokee Classic with all bells and whistles: air con, ABS, electric seats, mag alloy wheels, all in good condition. Now I have 2 jeeps.

The problem, I went out to the '99 Cherokee one morning and the battery was completely flat. After a good charge I discovered the courtesy lights had not turned off. They will not turn off. The only way I could stop the battery being drained was to remove all 7 bulbs
I realise when you open the car the light come on and, stay on for a while when you lock the car. Is there a gadget a relay type with a timer fitted anywhere, the hand book does not help.

there is and its probably under the steering wheel area, like above your knees. the grand Cherokee had it build into the headlight switch though, so maybe it the same way?

Thanks superj, That makes a bit of sense since the headlights stay on for a while with the interior lights. Not the easiest places to get to but I'll have a look.

Try setting the headlight switch to use like a normal vehicle, like where you manually turn the lights on and off, to see if stuff works like normal. If everything works like normal in the manual setting then the automatic headlight switch is bad

Could be a bad relay.

Last edited:
Problem solved. I've had this cherokee for 19 years, and did not know the headlight switch and instrument panel light dimmer also turns on the interior lights. I must have turned it fully down until it clicked and switched them on. Live and learn?

I was going to ask if you clicked the dome light on but thought you did check that already.

Glad you figured it out and it didn't cost anything.

Back