98 grand cherry clutch

Taff Cunnick

Hi all and apologies if this is a daft question. Have just bought my first jeep and the clutch biting point seems quite low compared to other cars i have driven.

Just wondering if this is normal to jeeps or do i have a problem.

Thanjs in advance

So long as it, the clutch, is fully disengaging and engaging there isn't any obvious urgency. If the peddle comes a good inch or two off the floor before engaging, it sounds ok. Is there any chattering, or difficulty of transmission's shifting through the gears- that is next question. Let's start there. A couple things: if mechanically controlled, there is usually an adjustment. If hydraulic, it could be as simple as low fluid level, or even loose fittings, and or mounting do-dads. If fluid level ok and clean, that narrows it down to two possibilities 1) clutch master cylinder failing, and or , the slave cylinder failing.
Has it always been like this or, has it come over time. Some stuff to chew on.
All the best...Tom C.

Thanks for the comments guys. She does fully disengage etc and doesn't seem to be slipping so must just be the way she is.

Idle curiosity more than anything as all differnet makes of car can have a different grab point and also down to the wear on the clutch itself but after searching a few other jeepy forums consensus seems to be its a jeep thing.

Once again thanks for the replies and stay safe all

Yep its a jeep thing, it starts and runs will take you to no other ride will... gotta love them

thats a cool option. once when i first started working on cars and didnt know how to drive a stick, i had to bring in not one but 2 Dodge Caravans with a stick. they were like 90ish. never seen one again.

Awesome, I haven't got to my clutch on my 55 cj5. Trying to get engine unsized. I'll probably set up a hydraulic system when I get there.

Back