03 Liberty Dash Lights and Flashers

ixoni

My left flasher lights started randomly coming on solid - not flashing, when the Jeep was turned off. This of course drained the battery. So I was disconnecting the battery every time I parked it. I figured it was the flasher relay so I changed it out. Now I have no dash lights or radio or heater control or shift position lights. Not sure about the dome lights because those disconnected because they had a lot of strange issues. So basically I have no interior lights. If I turn on the left flasher all of these lights flash with the flashers. When turn on the right flashers the interior lights stay off.

My first thought is that somehow these lights run through the relay and the new relay is defective. This happened as soon as the relay was replaced. In this model of Liberty the flasher relay is built into the hazard light switch. Anybody have an idea about this?
Thanks

Update, truly bizzaro. I drove the jeep to the store. After I parked and turned it off the left flasher lights stayed on solid again. The right flashers were on solid too but dimmer. When I drove home the dash came on but very dim. When I parked and turned the ignition off the motor kept running. I also noticed that the taillights and backup lights were on. I had to pull the alternator cable to kill it. Inside the car I thought I smelled a faint trace of burning plastic.

I am assuming that I have some major short going on. It is night so I cannot look at it now. A couple months ago the car started leaking into the driver side floorboard when it rained enough, the water appeared to come from under the dash. I wonder if wiring got wet and shorted, although it hasn't rained for about a week now. Any tips on troubleshooting much appreciated. The Jeep is our only vehicle.

It sounds like you might have a grounding issue. Or shorting as you mentioned. You might consider cleaning your battery connections to a polished surface. Also clean the opposite ends and surfaces. Get your battery load tested. Clean the grounds for the headlights up behind the radiator. Also the grounds under the dash.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Update, truly bizzaro. I drove the jeep to the store. After I parked and turned it off the left flasher lights stayed on solid again. The right flashers were on solid too but dimmer. When I drove home the dash came on but very dim. When I parked and turned the ignition off the motor kept running. I also noticed that the taillights and backup lights were on. I had to pull the alternator cable to kill it. Inside the car I thought I smelled a faint trace of burning plastic.

I am assuming that I have some major short going on. It is night so I cannot look at it now. A couple months ago the car started leaking into the driver side floorboard when it rained enough, the water appeared to come from under the dash. I wonder if wiring got wet and shorted, although it hasn't rained for about a week now. Any tips on troubleshooting much appreciated. The Jeep is our only vehicle.
Fire wall fuse block

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Thank both of you for the advice. I hope to get a chance to work on it today but if not it will not be until the weekend. I will definitely report back.

It looks like my ground cables from the battery could be corroded inside. I have some nice heavy marine grade cables so I was think of running new ones instead of trying to replace the OEM. There is a stud on the firewall where I can run the body, and not yet sure where on the engine. Alternator mounting bolt? I don't have a floor jack so it would be difficult to mount it where I would have to crawl under. Any advice appreciated.

Typically ground to the engine is on the block itself.

Swapping the wires are a good thing. Certainly wouldn't hurt.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Typically ground to the engine is on the block itself.

Swapping the wires are a good thing. Certainly wouldn't hurt.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I swapped cables and then the Jeep would not start. I switched back to make sure it was not something I did and it still does not start. It sounds like it is starting for a split second then dies. I do not know if this is related to all the electrical issues or something else. Things going downhill fast!

Have you had your battery load tested?
Is it fully charged?
You still have the blinkers staying on issue?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Back