87' Grand Wagoneer Ignition problems

underapew

Hello new friends, I decided to swallow my pride and ask for some help. Thanks in advance for your willingness!

I have an 87' Jeep Grand Wagoneer with the 5.9L V8. We had some kind of electrical surge when trying to jump it off one day, and the ignition system is giving us fits.

We have replaced the starter solenoid, several fusable links, the battery ground wire, and 1/2 the ignition switch (not the part that the rod comes down into, but the other half)

We suspected bad solenoid and changed that out immediately, and a couple of fusable links that were suspect, but continue to have the same problem: No ignition function (dash lights and such), and in all positions except start , we have 12v to the starter. Another way to put this is that power runs constantly to the starter except when the key is all the way turned forward.

It would seem like a polarity issue or something, but we have pulled off and reversed the wires from the coil and ignition to the solenoid. No change in behavior. We went on to get a good ground, and then the ignition switch that sits on top of the column. We have also tried to depress the switch that has the rod going into it, with no change.

No fuses are blown, but I think it did take out at least 1 fusable link which is repaired. There is now good power past that link, so probably not there, again, it's almost like every thing works backwards. I believe we have even tried the solenoid backwards with no change.

If you have thoughts, experience, or troubleshooting tips, your help is much appreciated.

Thanks - Brian

Wow, that is after a jump start attempt? Man, i am going to have to reread and think a while on this.

is there a little wire going from your alternator to the battery positive? I so, see if its got a resistor inline to keep power only going one way

First you should be reading 12.4 V. When the ign is all the way forward does the voltage go to zero or 1-2 V.

Have you had the battery load tested?
Are all power connections clean including grounds.

You could have a short in the starter leg that drains the battery when starting

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Not sure what to make of what you're experiencing... I almost want to ask you if you've got the battery hooked up backwards (positive to negative and negative to positive) by accident...?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

I'm not that far advanced in automotive electrical but it does sound to me that if in fact the electrons are flowing in reverse , a diode is missing or not working . A diode is used to allow the flow of electrons in one direction only , so it seems SuperJ and RestorationRides are correct .
The diode in this case would be in the alternator . Just like every other electrical device on a vehicle , the alternator is in the path of the surge of that possible reverse polarity jump start , if that is what happened . It would be strongly suggested to make certain the rest of the electrical system is ok but it's most likely the diode in the alternator must be replaced .
truth be told , it is just better to replace the alternator as a whole .

yes, diode.

sorry, this 0500 start time for work makes me get on here earlier then normal so I am mistyping and miswordng alot

I know the feeling . I'm 10pm - 6am now with 7pm start times straight through to 6am twice a week and anything else that might come my way . Got to save up $$ for the jeep projects .

I know the feeling . I'm 10pm - 6am now with 7pm start times straight through to 6am twice a week and anything else that might come my way . Got to save up $$ for the jeep projects .

oh man, those are bummer hours.

at least for me, we do our 8 (or 10 on ot days, like this week) and go home

Back