2002 Jeep Grand Cheorkee

Campbell80

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I've been having problems with it turning over when I try to start it. It doesn't do anything other than have all the lights on, won't crank at all. So when I wiggle the gear shift it starts right up. I have changed the Neutral Safety Switch, Throttle Position Switch, cleaned the coil packs, check plugs, and check battery terminals. I'm thinkin I might need to change the Starter Relay next but I'm not for sure. Does anyone have any idea on what it could? Thanks!!

Welcome to jeepz.com
you mentioned that the neutral safety switch has been changed and that you have to move the shift lever to get it to crank . You'll have to check the adjustment again , it's out and will have to be reset. Give that a try before thinking about swapping out a starter solenoid or whole starter .

I have this problem a lot. I have already found out that it is my shift position sensor (neutral safety switch). Most of the time I can just while the shift lever a bit and it fixes it. The few times that this doesn't work I have to slide under the driver side of the car and smack the side fo the trans next to the shift lever to free up the mechanism for the switch/sensor.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Jeepz.com mobile app

I saw "turning over" and first thought it was this :driving::
20161126__27RHAROLLOVERw~1.jpg

I had this problem, it is the crank sensor on the bell housing of the transmission. This tells the computer where the TDC is or Top Dead Center. There is also one for the cam shaft. I would see about changing this out or looking into this. They do go, and it sounds like a lot of other things, but if it fires and dies, you can push in the shraeder (sic) valve on the fuel injector area to see if it has fuel.
Operation

In a typical Jeep application, the ignition control module (ICM) is located in engine compartment. It consists of a solid-state ignition circuit, as well as an integrated ignition coil that can be removed and serviced separately. Electronic signals from the ECU to the ICM determine the amount of ignition timing or retard needed to meet engine power requirements. The ECU provides an input signal to the ICM. The ICM has outputs for a tach signal to the tachometer and a high voltage signal from the coil to the distributor. The crankshaft position sensor senses TDC (Top Dead Center) and BDC crankshaft positions, as well as engine rpm. This sensor is secured by special shouldered bolts to flywheel/drive plate housing and is not adjustable.
This is for your 1988 year. Good Luck! I am on my 5th Jeep Grand Cherokee over 27 years! Love me some jeeps..hate the sheet that happens, but then they usually can be fixed easily enough!

Read more: https://www.jeepz.com/forum/cheroke...cond-shuts-off-help-please.html#ixzz4Xq1fk8HQ

Back