1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Starts runs for second shuts off HELP PLEASE

So did you replaced the battery? All connections are clean and tight?

As noted above check that your fuel pump is running and check the pressure.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

is yours a zj, of the next model? if its the square front end, zj model grand Cherokee, and not the round front end of the 2000 style grand Cherokees, then pop the hood of the jeep and the computer is located in front of the passenger, on the firewall. its right up against the firewall and is a big square-ish deal, easily visible. anyways, push dead in the center of it, push towards the passenger seat as hard as you can with your hand and have a friend turn the key. keep pushing and if it starts and stays running, let go an it will probably die as soon as you let go, or shortly after. if it does, its your ecu and its a very common grand Cherokee problem. just go on ebay and get another an you should be good. or you can buy a remanufactured ecu, its up to you.

I have had 2 grand Cherokee and know all about that issue you are having

After reading last post I realized that I had forgotten all about my ecu going out once on both my 98 and 03 models. I think superb may be right on this one.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Jeepz.com mobile app

Sounds like a security issue to me... might try resetting the KAM (keep alive memory). Remove both battery cables and touch them together for about 10 seconds to discharge residual voltage and the KAM should be reset. Or, with a scan tool check the pids for the SKIM and SKREEM modules (security modules).
Hey man sounds like you know abt this issue ... my 2004 jgc will turn over but not start at all not even for two seconds and the "skim" key light stays on constant no blink I've call a few lock smiths and they wanted to charge me like $200 just to come out and hook up to it and I just don't feel good abt it could this be the ecm no fuel or fire and I've changed crank and cam sensors???? Need some info if you got any thanks

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Jeepz.com mobile app

Hey man sounds like you know abt this issue ... my 2004 jgc will turn over but not start at all not even for two seconds and the "skim" key light stays on constant no blink I've call a few lock smiths and they wanted to charge me like $200 just to come out and hook up to it and I just don't feel good abt it could this be the ecm no fuel or fire and I've changed crank and cam sensors???? Need some info if you got any thanks

This should start a new thread.
Check your fuses and swap the ADS relay with a known good.
Verify your battery is fully charged and you are using the correct keys.

Does the $200 include them reflashing the SKIM to the keys you have?

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

This should start a new thread.
Check your fuses and swap the ADS relay with a known good.
Verify your battery is fully charged and you are using the correct keys.

Does the $200 include them reflashing the SKIM to the keys you have?

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app
No I haven't had the keys checked I have both grey keys and i have changed the crank and cam sensors and switched all the relays around making sure they work the same by the diagrams on the relays and took a test light and checked fuses and all are good I'm not with the jeep right not to tell you what fuses didn't have power on either side but there is a couple that have no power at all and the reason I haven't spent the money on the key is because two locksmiths told me they have seen this a hundred times and and it didn't fix the problem and they still got to charge a arm and half my leg lol... And a couple others say it might work but no guarantee and my money is getting low

Did you ever figure out what it was? I just bought a 98 grand Cherokee 4.0 and it's doing the same thing. New fuel pump good fuel pressure can't figure it out.

I believe this is the security system doing its job. It's been a good minute since I had a zj but there is a wire in the driver's door key switch that grounds when working properly shutting off security system when key is used to unlock door. This wire has been known to come off or be damaged especially by attempting to slim jim. Maybe worth pulling driver door panel and verify it is grounding turning off security.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back