Engine swap 95 Grand to 01 Grand

classy_gene

Hi, I have a hopefully quick questions. I'm not that familiar with Jeeps so please forgive me. I bought a 01 Grand Cherokee with a bad 4.0 motor, I already had a 95 Grand with a good running 4.0 but no Title. Several people told me the motor would work. I got the motor in the 01 and bolted up to the bell housing but the motor mounts are way different. Is there a conversion kit? The mounting holes on the blocks are different. Thanks in advance.

The blocks are different. For simplest examples compare alternator, spark plug connections, and exhaust systems.
The newer version has:
1 more bolt points to allow newer plug system,
2 smaller exhaust ports to allow pre-cats to warm up faster,
3 alternator placement and wire system is different,
4 they changed from the clutch fan to electronic,
5 they also changed the belt tensioner system and routing pattern

This is just off the top of my head from when I wanted to do the same thing. If you still want to try it then you will need to change the heads to get the extra bolt points and smaller exhaust ports, you will also need to change out the mounting brackets to allow the newer parts to be attached (alternator, ac, power steering, etc), last you will need to change out the water pump to the newer one to keep the hp and fuel economy of the newer engine.

If you want to repair the engine instead then most of the time you just need a new head/head gasket set as well as new water pump, thermostat, fan, and fan relay (located under the passenger headlight).

Sent from my SM-J320V using Jeepz.com mobile app

ok, thanks for your reply. Most of those don't seem like big hurdles. The fan clutch is no big deal, most everything bolts the head except for the coil mounting. I can build motor mounts. Anyhow I'll let you know what I decide to do. I don't have much in the 95 motor, it is low miles and runs great. The 01 engine is not repairable it has a whole in the side of the block from a rod escaping. Most of the 01 was torn apart before I bought so I didn't know about the different locations of the components.

The newer coil pack will need the newer heads to allow them to be bolted down or they won't get good contact to all of the plugs. This is because they use a spring inside instead of a snap on ring like the older wires. Be careful about how tight you get this part as it is easy to crack and will spark across to bolts instead of plugs.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back