battery drainags jeep wont idle PLZ HELP

justajeepguy9

i have a 97 jeep cherokee sport with a 4.0 L my battery will drain completely when i am driving but the vehicle wont die and all of the electronics work fine. when i shut it off it has to be jumped to be started and it will not idle. i had to drive home with two feet today and it was a lot more complicated than you would think

Its possible you have a bad battery? your Alt is charging at high engine speeds but at idle it wont charge enough to keep your engine running... You could get your battery checked at most auto stores. its a start I hope this helps.

Agree^^
Pull your battery and have it load tested at NA..AutoZ, Adv.. Ori... Or whatever auto store is close. Most will test for free. Load test not only measures the voltage potential but how much cold crawling amps are available.

Clean (to a bright polish)and inspect your battery terminals look for wire corrosion. Also clean the opposite end of your battery cables and grounds.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

It sounds like you're running on your battery - the alternator is not able to charge it. Could be the cleanliness of the connections, or a bad alternator or battery. A simple test when disconnecting to clean is have engine running and disconnect battery. If it dies alternator is likely bad.

Sent from my XT1650 using Jeepz.com mobile app

It sounds like you're running on your battery - the alternator is not able to charge it. Could be the cleanliness of the connections, or a bad alternator or battery. A simple test when disconnecting to clean is have engine running and disconnect battery. If it dies alternator is likely bad.

Sent from my XT1650 using Jeepz.com mobile app

That may damage the PCM.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Back