1994 grand cherokee laredo, 3 problems at once...

Gordyslady

First, most times to start it we have to pump repeatedly on the gas, the RPMs rev high fluctuating, takes up to 10 minutes for it to idle steady, also stalls and dies, second our Windows suddenly stopped working, and lastly the blinkers won't work, but flashers do...have checked fuses, replaced fuel filter, bulbs are fine...this is our first Jeep, we love her, but are at a loss...would appreciate any advice...

Sent from my SM-S820L using Jeepz.com mobile app

The hazard flash controller is separate from the regular signal controller but looks the same. It will look similar to a relay just a bit bigger on the fuse panel (owners manual will tell which one it is).

As for windows if all fuse are good then I would check the driver door window control panel. If this goes out then none of the others will work (same as blowing a fuse).

The idle issue could be a bad mass Air flow sensor (mounted on the air intake between the filter and throttle body). Another sensor to check would be the o2 sensor.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Jeepz.com mobile app

^Agree^

Save money and headaches by testing things before buying or replacing. Also buy OEM sensors only. Aftermarket often don't work out of the box.
For starting-idling there are a few additional things to check

Clean the TB and IAC be sure the IAC and TPS both are plugged in.
Clean your battery terminals and grounds
Check your fuel pressure on first ign on and once idling then at higher RPM. Fuel pump, clogged filter...
Without starting the engine turn the key to on and wait 5 seconds then off and back on. Do this 3-5 times then try to start. If it starts without pressing on the gas the check valve is bad and your loosing your prime.

The multifunction switch are known to go bad. Fuses, relay.

Windows I take it are power windows? All controls don't work or just drivers?
If it's all check the fuses and relay(s). Other than that the wiring through the door hinge break from the flexing. Controls go bad if water gets in them.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
I totally agree on the main window switch possible being the culprit. the grand Cherokee are known for that being an issue.

try this. when you get in the jeep, turn the key to run, not start. leave it in that position for 30 seconds and then turn it back and try starting it without pumping the gas. see if it starts. if so, then you pressure regulator or the little check valve in the fuel line is bad so your pump is having to build pressure up from scratch with no residual pressure to help at starting. I am just wondering if that is part of your starting problem. of course, the idle control valve is probably really dirty, and the part of the throttle body where it is mounted is probably horribly dirty. that will give you idle problems, also. if you look at your throttle body, its on the side nearest the firewall, if I remember properly. its held on with three Philips headed bolts, if I remember right. might be three torxs bolts. anyways, unplug it and pull it out and it will be black and crusty looking so spray the crap out of it with carb cleaner. you will probably need about 4 cans to clean everything well. don't try to pull the tip or twist it but you can use a fine wire brush on it while cleaning it. then, where it went into the throttle body, spray the crap out of that area too. the cleaner will run into the throttle body and pool up on the throttle plate so you can soak it up with a rag or open the plate and let it run into the intake where it will get sucked up in the combustion chamber and burned. but make sure that little area where the idle control valve sat is clean too. that should help your idle issues and possibly help with starting. and your throttle position sensor could be out of adjustment or bad so maybe replace that. its on the throttle body also and is opposite of the unit where the cables attach. you can find the manual for your jeep by googling for a free factory repair manual. I think morris 4x4 might have a free download in their tech section

Back