Need some bushings advice

bradleyheathhays

The old '96 XJ is at 173k miles and has never had any of the front end (or rear?) bushings replaced, so that'll be the first thing I get on here soon when the weather warms up. Never done this before so need whatever advice I can get.

What are all the locations where bushings will need replaced that have anything to do with the front end and steering? The only two I'm aware of are the tops and bottoms of the front control arms, but other than that I'm clueless.

Also, is there a good quality all inclusive bushings kit I should look out for?

for kits, check pelican parts or any of the 4x4 sites. but you have your upper and lower control arms, sway bars, also ball joints in the front effect steering. so do the rear leaf spring bushings, those will make the jeep feel like its trying to drift a little back and forth on the highway

Thanks for the advice, and sorry for taking so long to get back..too many irons in the fire.

I'll be getting on anything related to steering first so thanks for the list.

So far the list of parts I've been told to look at are...

- upper and lower control arm bushings
- leaf spring shackle bushings
- rear sway bar bushings
- rear sway bar link bushings
- track bar bushings at the axle
- shock bushings
- bump stops
- coil spring isolators
- engine mounts
- transmission mounts (same as transmission cross member?)
- tie rod ends
- ball joints

So, couple questions

1- Which of these parts would it make sense to replace in one go, as in like when you have to go through one piece to get to another. I would imagine shock bushings and coil spring isolators might be replaced at the same time.

2- and would anybody happen to have that pic of the underside of an XJ where the steering and some of the suspension components were circled in color and labeled? Kept it around for years but somehow its missing now.

First be leery of poly bushings. You may end up with a squeaky harsh ride as poly are stiffer than rubber.

I'd think I would replace the shocks over the bushings in the shocks unless you have the rebuildable shocks. Like fox or blisten. If you do you call the company and discuss with them.

In some cases, not all, the entire replacement of the control arm is easier and inexpensive compared to the work of putting new bushings in. Same with the track bar. You may reconsider this once you get started.

I would consider checking ball joints, and wheel bearings if nothing's ever been changed.

When swapping Tie rod ends, and control arms, coil spring isolators, I would be sure to get it aligned afterwards or tire wear and steering vibrations may start.

Also engine and trans mount. If the jeep is lifted, changing these may change the angle these sit at and vibes in the driveshaft may start due to slight changes. If there is a lift and once had vibes but corrected it with a dropped skid plate this may be the opportunity to look at taller engine mounts and smaller height trans mount. Just a thought.

I would be sure to do left and right in one shot.

Also I would go back a week or so later and be sure everything is tight and hasn't shifted of loosened. Like sway bar components.

There is an image of a TJ with components marked. The names will all be the same. They may look different based on year or aftermarket...but the basics are the same.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

Thanks JP, that all sounds like great advice. Going with rubber bushings for sure.

Back