Selec-Trac vs Quadra-Trac vs Quadra-Drive

sizemic1

I'm planning on buying a '04 Grand Cherokee in a couple of months and i needed some opinions regarding the available 4WD systems.

Do any of you have any experience doing any off roading with any of these systems?

I understand Selec-Trac is a part-time 4WD transfer case and Quadra-TracII is a full time 4WD transfer case with low range and Quadra-Drive is a "system" that implements the Quadra-TracII transfer case as well as Vari-Lok differentials.

I've already had some experience with the Selec-Trac on a regualr cherokee and that seems fine. So what i'm mostly interested is hearing other's experiences with the various "Quad" systems.

Contrary to 99% of other Grand Cherokee owners, i actually plan on doing some 4 wheeling. So the system i pick would have to fairly capable offroad.

Thanks!
[addsig]

I found this board in search of an answer to this same question. I understand the basics of these three systems and am wanting to understand the Pros and Cons of Selec-Trac vs Quadra Drive.

Selec-Trac Advantages
It seems Selec-Trac has the advantage of the 2WD option, reducing both gas mileage and wear and tear (since less moving parts). For a serious off-roader, being able to lock all four wheels seems like a Selec-Trac plus, but maybe Quadra-Drive can match this? Personally, I want 4wd for the occasional ski trip to Tahoe (2% of the time).

Selec-Trac Disadvantages
I believe only a rear limited-slip diff is available with Selec-Trac, so only 3 wheels have drive capability, unlike Quadtra-Drive where any one of 4 wheels can provide drive. I think a limited slip diff and Vari-lock is the same thing (but there was a Trac-loc at one time, so there must be some difference??)
Also, you need more thought as to when/how to use Selec-trac, whereas Quadra-Drive is a no-brainer. Though even with a brain, you may not have Selec-trac full-time engaged when you came upon a very slippery spot on an otherwise dry road, so in that case Quadra-Drive would be better.

To summarize, I really don't know which is best for serious offroading, but having the 2WD option (Selec-trac) for summer driving seems better, and maybe not having to think about engaging the 4WD (Quadra-Drive) is better for surprise slippery spots.

I don't see any advantage to the Quadra-Trac II.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from those that understand these systems better than I

Cheers

edited by: shaeffer, May 28, 2003 - 11:31 AM[addsig]

Might be right, might be wrong, but it sounds like Selec-Trac is the traditional "Hard part" (ie.Chain) driven transfer case, whereas the Quadra-Trac is more of a viscious (or hydraulic) type of transfer case...

Kinda like a manual vs. automatic transmission...

I am probably wrong though...[addsig]

I believe Selec-trac has always had a viscous coupling type transfer case (that allows driving in mixed slippery/dry conditions), but somehow can lock for all snow/mud conditions. The Quadra-Drive has "something even better" than that, which I don't technically understand

It is this "something better" that Quadra-Trac II uses, but without the other manual selection options of Selec-trac, and without the front/rear differential side-to-side power shifting of Trac-loc (which makes Quadra-Drive so good). So personally, I don't see any benefit to Quadra-Trac II over either other option, but its still better than nothing.

Hopefully an expert will jump in here and give us some details[addsig]

Back