1992 cherokee sport fuel pump(?) issue

cajunguyinmaine

My 92 jeep Cherokee sport with a straight six was running fine until when I went to start it this morning. We had a major rain storm and at first I thought that maybe some wires had gotten wet and only needed to dry. Anyway, I went to start it and it wanted to start, it would turn over and all but would not start the engine. Went out and got a brand new battery and even that did not help. It wants to start but it won't I am thinking now that it may be the fuel pump fuse under the hood or even the fuel pump itself. If it is the fuel pump, I am confused by the Hanes manual. Does anyone know where the fuel pump would be located on my jeep?

I don't know for sure about your 92 but the 1990 cherokee I used to have had the fuel pump in the tank. You don't have to remove the tank to access it but it's not like you have easy access with the tank still installed.

Have you checked the fuel pressure? Can you hear the fuel pump run when you first turn on the ignition? Electric fuel pumps usually make more noise in the days/weeks prior to them going out.

Back