Binding front brake

michaelc291

Once again my Cherokee XJ (non ABS) has thrown up an odd problem.
Yesterday when I got home the front LH brake was very hot and almost burning. The RH one was fine.
Today I jacked it up to check it out and there was no sign of any binding. My first thought was the master cylinder not letting fluid back, but as only one front brake was effected that could not happen as the front brakes are interconnected.
I have examined the LH caliper and the piston moves freely and is not corroded, so I have put it all back and the car stops OK.
Has anyone any ideas why this can happen? I can only suspect the flexible hose as there is nothing else in the system to restrict the fluid getting back to the reservoir.
Is there any history of this happening? Any suggestions welcome.

Does the right one work? Perhaps the left is doing all the work.

Same for your back brakes are they working? Be sure to look if any one pad is worn more than another.
JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
Today I have stripped and checked the RHS front and again the piston is OK and works smoothly. The pads are all less then half worn.
I put new shoes on the back last month so they are OK, wheel cylinders clean and dry.
It's beginning to look more like the hoses. To my knowledge they have never been changed

Personally I've never had to change for other reasons than to lengthen them for a lift.

I'd start with flushing the old fluid and bleeding them well. You should see any fluid delivery issue while bleeding. The only way fluid gets there and does not retract is a check valve and that is not a part of the system.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
I've had to change them a half dozen or more times on the various older vehicles I've had over the years, never on a jeep but that doesn't really change things.

I've had to change them a half dozen or more times on the various older vehicles I've had over the years, never on a jeep but that doesn't really change things.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think, rather than go through the hassle of bleeding the brakes twice I will simply change the hoses and save some time.
Unfotunately at the end of the day I'll never know what cured the problem, but if it does that's good news.

Back