steering stabilizer test 02 Grand

98Chero

What I am talking about is the shock looking thing on the steering. The problem is when I go down bumpy roads the front tires begin to wobble real bad.. so much that I have to come to an almost a complete stop before the wobble goes away. I took the steering stabilizer/ shock off at one end and I can move the rod in an out of the shock with alittle resistance both ways. is this how you test the steering stabilizer ? how much resistance should the steering stabilizer have. All the other steering parts tie rods, ball joints etc.. seem to be in good shape. I am taking the grand to the tire shop in the morning to have the front wheels spun balanced to see if this helps.

Simply stated the stabilizer should have the resistance of a shock absorber -

Sounds like so called jeep death wobble - check out suspension heading for more info

Yes sounds like DW for sure. Ideally you could run without a steering stabilizer. It's not there for DW though it will wear out with a WD condition.

Perform a dry steer test looking for steering components that are loose or worn. Replace them. Get a high speed balance of the tire and an alignment. Be sure to get a printout of your alignment and post it up.
When inspecting include the shake test for wheel bearings, ball joints.
Also inspect U joints in the axel and driveshafts. Lastly the control arm bushings.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Thanks for the info this is what i am trying to get road ready.... :driving: 2002 Grand(3) copy.jpg

Being you just purchased it make sure the rims are not bent or warped.
As little as mud in the rim will start DW but it happens because parts are loose or worn.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

an FYI that horizontal mounted shock, the steering stabilizer should be able to be removed and you should be able to drive down the road without noticing any difference. Its job is to buffer vibrations from the road surface from hitting the steering wheel and nothing more. We put larger ones in when we put bigger tires on since the larger tires have a greater surface area to pick up this physical equivalent of "road noise". If your steering stabilizer is correcting any suspension issues you quite literally have major problems that need to be take care of, perhaps not expensive, but catistophic in nature, as its actingto preload rod ends and so forth

Still getting alittle DW. Everything seems tight as for as ball joints upper and lower, tie rod ends, bearings,etc.. the only thing I cant test is the track bar and stabilizer bar. they have bushings and grommets. out of those two steering componants which one those would be more likely to cause a DW.

The track bar. Look for Terry' write-up on DW. He has a Video of a loose/worn track bar.
Besides the bar the bolt needs to be changed to one that is the same diameter as the holes on the track bar and the frame.

Road balance tires.
Alignment

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

This has been posted a few times tire alignment. Any kinda of info i get from doing that i will post on here.

Took the Jeep to a trusted tire shop and they tested all the steering parts. it was 7/32 out of alignment and the steering box had alittle play/slop in it.No more DW and I am ready to put some AT Tires on it now.

Back