Cherokee XJ Hydraulic Clutch Fluid Line Problem

Vinton

So, I finally bought a Jeep! A 1993 Cherokee XJ with a 3" lift.
I never learned anything but the most basic car maintenance and saw this as an opportunity to learn, having a friend who is willing to help.

IMG_8850.JPG

I test drove the vehicle and everything seemed great. I made the purchase and got all the paperwork taken care of.

And then I got in to start it and the clutch felt fine at first but then lost all resistance.

My friend was with me and noticed that the hose underneath for the clutch fluid slipped apart where it had been clamped (where the two clamps are in the photo below). My buddy got it back on there and we pumped the air out and it was fine. Then it happened again later. We repeated, it was fine. He figured he just hadn't put the hose deep enough and we put two clamps this time. On the way home the clutch stopped working again, this time in the middle of me driving, so I pulled into a parking lot. The hose was still attached but the fluid was obviously leaking from somewhere.

IMG_8854.JPG

We went around asking about parts, found out there is supposed to be a different part of the hose there but they don't make them anymore, which is why the last person probably clamped the hose on. Another friend looked at it and said he thinks it's just spraying out past the clamps.

Somebody told me they think there might be clog in the line which would have pushed it apart in the first place. But if that were true, I'm wondering why it worked fine for a while each time?

I'm hoping to get some ideas on what might be going on here and what can be done. Again, I don't know very much about motor vehicle maintenance at all, so I will try my best to answer any questions but remember I'm totally new to this world.

Jeep # 4636859
google it let me know if you find one

Attachments

• hydraulic line XJ.JPG
    hydraulic line XJ.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
Jeep # 4636859
google it let me know if you find one

I googled it and found one on the first link for $65 (is that a normal price for such a part?): Flex hose, Jeep; 4.0L; MJ, XJ Series for 1992 Jeep Cherokee 4636859 Safely buy online today - it's fast and easy.

Clicked through dozen or so other links and they all say discontinued part.

I'm also wondering if replacing it will actually be my solution, because I'm still not completely sure what's happening since the line is staying attached now but it's still not working.

The jury rigged hose clamp setup is not rated for the pressure in the line when it is full of fluid. You probably lost most of the fluid, that's why it's staying together. Does the clutch release when you push the pedal?

A good hose shop could make a new line, but you would have remove it and bring it to them. It's just a hydraulic line.

Back