1994 XJ Door Wiring RHD

michaelc291

Hello,
I have run into the usual problem of broken wires in the door jam/hinge area. I removed the door harness and found no less than seven completely broken wires and three cracked ones all at the same point where binding tape had been wrapped round the harness presumably during manufacture.
Bad practice since this will concentrate the bending stresses.
Anyway, I have soldered in all new wires covering the joint with heat shrink ensuring all the joints are out of the bending area. Continuity is good on every wire and all the colours have been checked.

So far so good.

I have refitted the harness to the RH driver's door and everything looks good but nothing works, no windows and no locking. It's worse now than before I started!!!
The problem is that I do not have a wiring diagram and cannot find one on the net that fits my car. Is the RHD simply a mirror image of the LHD? I have checked all the fuses and these are OK.

Can anyone supply a wiring diagram or tell me where I can find one or even suggest what has gone wrong?

Attachments

• CIMG2399.JPG
    CIMG2399.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • CIMG2404.JPG
    CIMG2404.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

Ideas till I get a diagram - You did carefully match Red with white tracer to red with white tracer ? Sorry but got to ask.

treat it s a no PW or PL - will driver control work OR just passenger - check fuses and relay ?

use an ohm meter,

RHD - means " Right Hand Drive" this is LHD with a right DOOR issue? double checkig

Ideas till I get a diagram - You did carefully match Red with white tracer to red with white tracer ? Sorry but got to ask.

treat it s a no PW or PL - will driver control work OR just passenger - check fuses and relay ?

use an ohm meter,

RHD - means " Right Hand Drive" this is LHD with a right DOOR issue? double checkig

Hi, thanks for the reply.
The car is a right hand drive model with a RH door problem ie driver's.

I have been very careful to ensure that all colours match at each end and have even had friend check it. I have also checked the continuity of every wire, including those that did not need a repair, with a meter and a lamp.

Nothing worked when I plugged it back in. No locking or window control from any door.
I have checked fuses but I don't know where the relays are located. Unfortunately I don't have a manual.

The six switches in the door panel plug into a multi pin socket on the harness as an assembly. I don't think it is possible to get this wrong.

I hope you can solve the puzzle.

WOW RHD - might need time to get that info...
Ataced is the LHD diagram OR logic - us the diagram to confirm power thru key switch to controls - it has fuses and relay names...

looking for RHD easy all in 1 diagram. Jeep lists all door circuits separate PW. PL, PM etc

Attachments

• PW JEEP1.JPG
    PW JEEP1.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 938
  • jeep DL2.JPG
    jeep DL2.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 584

if nothing works now, either side, I would hit the fuse box.

Hi,
Everything is working again. Thank you for the wiring diagrams they helped with the power supply and fuses.

The actual problem was entirely my fault. I said above that you could not get the six door switches wrong, well you can, there are actually four options.
There are six connections on each switch except one which has two, so there 32 pins and a socket with 36 holes, not all of which are used. Put them together 90degrees out nothing works and you pop a few fuses.
There is no keyway to ensure you get it the right way round.

The moral to this saga is to mark the connection with a spot of paint before disconnecting it.

As a precaution I have put a securing wire round the switches to hold them into the door facia plate since the Jeep clips are useless.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Attachments

• CIMG2418.JPG
    CIMG2418.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Back