Wheel spacers.

JBiscoe

I'm new to the jeep world but in love. I inherited a 94 grand cherokee with a 3" lift. However the tires (which stand at 31" on a 16" rim) rub on the sway bar when turning. The research I've seen has two options. 1. Get different wheels. Of love to upgrade to 15" rims but don't have the funds for that. And 2. Wheel spacers. I know some people don't like them and some people do. I'm not looking to damage this jeep but need to figure something out soon. Also any references to some adjustable suspension/lift kits?
Here are a few pics of what it looks like 20170923_145626_HDR.jpg20170923_145630_HDR.jpg20170923_145659_HDR.jpg any help is appreciated

Sent from my LG-H810 using Jeepz.com mobile app

I have 2" wheel spacers on my 02 grand cherokee. I had the same problem with 31" tires you are having and found they fixed it with out a problem. Just make sure you get good quality ones. I go off roading with them and have never had a problem. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-S820L using Jeepz.com mobile app

Think if a wheel spacer like a lever and your axle bearing like a fulcrum. The lever magnifies the force and can be hard on the fulcrum. The longer the spacer/lever, the greater the affect on the fulcrum.

Is it enough to worry about? Maybe or maybe not...just realize you are encroaching on the bearings' design safety factor.

I went with Precision Auto Labs, but as long as it's high grade aluminum or steal, it will work. Make sure to do all 4 tires. This will keep you from making your jeep off balance a little. Aluminum is what I got and so far it's been 2 years and no sighns of problems. After you install them, drive about 2 weeks and check that the are still tight. That way when they get broke in they don't come loose on you.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Jeepz.com mobile app

Think if a wheel spacer like a lever and your axle bearing like a fulcrum. The lever magnifies the force and can be hard on the fulcrum. The longer the spacer/lever, the greater the affect on the fulcrum.

Is it enough to worry about? Maybe or maybe not...just realize you are encroaching on the bearings' design safety factor.

No more than if replacing your wheels with a set with more offset. Bearing wear increase in negligible.

Agree!!you are increasing stress on the wheel bearing and there is a point of too much spacing vs what is necessary to not rub.

Besides the above you are changing where your tire scrubs on the pavement. This can lead to a loose steering feel or wondering.

Just so you are aware of trade offs.

Is your sway bar centered? Is it level with the ground to pointed up slightly? With the lift you have to be sure the sway bar connectors are the proper length. If not they will rub.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

I bought mine off jet.com that I use on my bmw. 25mm (they have other sizes) for 35 a set.

Back