Swapping out U bolts

bradleyheathhays

I'm almost embarrassed to make this a thread, but I guess the only stupid question...

With the S&!^ storm of information I've been absorbing lately I believe I was told that if I take the U-bolts off to do my leaf spring bushing swap out that I should put new ones back in. Is this true or can I reuse the old ones if they look ok?

Means about a $30 difference for the nearly $400 component replacement party I'm throwing here in the next few weeks.

I always reused mine, unless they were bent or to short

Hmm interesting, I'm getting suggestions for both resuing and replacing. One guy was saying to replace them unless I already had high quality aftermarket bolts in there. Do they have a tendency to break or something when they're old. I'm in a '96 so mine are 21 yrs. I'm always just on the road.

I had add a leaf and a replace leaf on a f150. The shop only manufactured leaf and coil springs. They urged me to replace them because the threads stretch when torqued and after a few uses they will allow self loosening from heat and vibration.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
With the 400 in parts and another 300 in tool/odds and ends I'm gearing up with to do this job another 30 ain't a whole lot. New U bolts are going in. Cheap peace of mind.

Back