2002 Cherokee radiator issues

Kevn829

So a while back had my Jeep sitting in driveway, and all of a sudden heard a pop and seen smoke and coolant spraying everywhere, the radiator cracked then busted a 1 inch by 2 inch hole on the side where plastic goes, now this was caused by an issue that I have yet to find, replaced the radiator, does not exceed 210 temp, but the fan has yet to kick on, so I tried jumping the fan, which fan turned instantly, I've heard that there is some switch that signals the fan to turn on which I have no clue where that is located, the Jeep does not exceed the 210 range yet the hoses feel too hot like it might blow again. Sorry for the noob questions just need to get it back up and running as it's a business/backup vehicle. Thank you for your help

Off hand I would need to look up the fan switches and relay for your vehicle before answering.

However, I just went through this, failing rad, on my TJ. I put an E-Fan in place of the clutch fan. In my case the fan motor was intermittent. But the radiator exploded because the radiator cap stuck closed allowing the pressure to rapidly build. In my case the plastic failed with little to no boil over into the overflow.

If you are driving above 30 mph there should be enough airflow to cool your rad without the fan needing to kick on.

Replace your radiator cap if you haven't.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Hey so I have the electronic fan on mine, jumped it and it sounds fine smooth as butter, spoke to a buddy and he said it's a fan relay switch is what I'm looking for possibly, or a switch that tells the fan when to trigger, 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is what I have 4.0

The fan relay might set a code if bad - remember the key trick will not show all codes...

The fan control 'module' is located behind bumper fascia. BUT tech's almost always access from behind R/S headlight - look there to see if the access hole is already cut, this is a 2002 model likely done at least once.
Let me know and I will add more on that access hole after you check - unless you go the R&R bumper fascia.

PS replace radiator cap with correct pressure - yours sounds inop.

I would check the Fan relay switch if that is your concern, both my TJ and XJ take a while to come on. As far as the radiator, I have gone through probably 7 or 8 due to busting at the seems, low coolant, age, or corrosion. If there is a weak part in your cooling system, the pressure will find it!

Back