99 XJ Is it a alignment Issue after lift?

George L

Hello,
I have a 99 xj. I put a rough country 3 in lift in it. Front coils, rear leafs, new non adjustable lower control arms,and shocks. When all done I coasted down our road and it was steering funny and had a almost rubbing sound. Does this sound like alignment? Also with my lower control arms while install, I only snugged the bolts until I had jeep on ground. Then I tightened them. Was that correct?
George.

No, I didn't change anything else other than listed. I spoke to the tech center at Rough Country before the install. They told me going with a 3 inch or less all other components could stay stock. The only reason I changed the lower control arms is because I had to cut the bolt to remove it. Also, no I haven't done any sort of alignment yet.

If you have the lift, larger tires and plan to let articulate off road you will need more than just their kit. Did you get a track bar relocation bracket?

There is a write up on Stu's showing how to align your jeep in your garage with chalk and a tape measure. You will need an alignment. If you go to a shop it's best to make sure they know how to align 4x4 vehicles. With the lift and larger tires, your alignment specs change a bit.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

Without a modification to the front track bar after the lift, you'll get some serious tire rubbing. The lift will cause the front track bar to pull the front axle toward the driver's side.

A simple fix is to redrill the mounting hole in the axle bracket for the front track bar, usually about 1/2" toward the driver's side. Or get the Rough County adjustable track bar for $99.

Disconnect the front track bar at the axle end and push up/down on the front suspension. Make sure both front tires are centered under the fenders, use a ratchet strap to shift the axle if needed. This will give you an idea where to drill the lower mount.

Alignment went well. Both front and back at 54 1/4".
Checked to see if axle is of center. Measured frame rail to outer tire. 1/8" difference if that.

Alignment went well. Both front and back at 54 1/4".
Checked to see if axle is of center. Measured frame rail to outer tire. 1/8" difference if that.

From front of front tires to back if front tires should have a delta of fractions of an inch and changes based on tire size.

The 1/8 is not bad.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I so far have the stock tires on. Would like to get nice used 31's to put on it. Took it out on a short drive the other night. Have a woof woof sound sound as wheels go around. Sorry for the lame description but all I could think of.�� I do know the tread ran flat on the front tires because they were on the back when I had the rear sag from the stock worn leaf springs. Back tires are good. Was thinking of swapping them to see if the sound goes away. I sure enjoy this forum and appreciate you guys and your help.

Get the tires high speed balanced. By flat do you bean bald? To flat like they sat so long the tire looked flat in that spot. The flat spot could be out of round or broken belt...resulting in tire hop.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

The center of the tires are bald while the outer tread looks fine. Like I said, these front tires were once on the back. I had some serious sag in the back so I assume they rubbed that way from the sag. Not sure. Thought maybe by swapping front to back if it would tell me if I have a tire issue or need to investigate my work from the lift I put in.

Bald in the center is over inflation of the tire. Sometimes with over inflated tires being the scrub area is smaller any alignment or balance issues get magnified. Especially when the fronts are over inflated.

Did you get it aligned and high speed balance the wheels?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Only alignment I did was a driveway alignment. Tires were balanced a couple months ago when I had the tires mounted.

Do a chalk test to get the inflation correct. For years I thought 32 psi was the magic number until I purchased a 4x4 with balloon tires. The chalk test will get the most thread in contact with the road. With that many weird darting wobbly issues disappeared.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Well, swapped tires around. Took for a drive. Have vibrations. I also measured from my frame to outside my tire tread and I thought I was off 1\8" but seems to be 1\4" is this to far to be off? Also what is an acceptable tow in? I would like to get these side effects taken care of. Frustrated.
George.

Are the vibrations in the steering wheel? Or in your feet?
Also did you ever get it aligned? What were the numbers?
Driveway alignment (Stu's) from front of 30 in tire to rear the front should be 3/32 to 1/8 shorter than the rear.
Have you ever had the tires high speed balanced?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

Just regular balance when tires were mounted. And vibration is not in steering wheel. I do also feel a vibration upon acceleration.

Back