How to bend the end of your tail pipe

bradleyheathhays

Can't believe it but the new shackles are running into the end of my exhaust so the stock XJ is having it's first clearance issue.

My best idea is to protect the tank with a welding blanket and heat red hot where I want the bend and then stick a 2ft pry bar in there and see if I can get it to move. I don't have a serious torch so the best heat I'd have available is just propane or this new MAPP gas, which are about the same thing. I'm not sure if plain propane would get hot enough. Can this be done with anything short of an acetylene torch?

And how close is too close routing it by the gas tank? If I don't bend it down some it'll end up being a bout 2" away.

Did you tale it to a muffler shop or at least call one? Costs are many times inexpensive and less stress on you without tools. Bending can end up crimping the pipe.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Yeah called the muffler shop closest to me but said they were too busy to deal with it so I came here. But yeah I hear ya. I'll call around to more shops and see what I can figure out.

I used to do quick little adjustments like that for lunch or beer money lol..doesn't take a lot of time but if we were slammed with work I would just tell you to come by near closing time (beer 30) . If you try to do it yourself with a propane torch it will take a lot longer to heat up to the cherry red temp you need it to be and will use a lot more propane..you can expect a small or slight kink in the tail pipe but nothing too hideous and it wont hurt the flow any..you could also try to use a sawzall if you have one and have enough room to fit in there and have someone hold the pipe stable and solid with a huge channel lock so it doesn't bounce around, then buy a turn down (chrome) from an auto parts store if available..

Another alternative is electrician or plumbing houses have pipe benders fir conduit or some piping.

Not all have it

I shopped around until i found what i liked.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Back