1994 XJ steering knuckle ball joints

michaelc291

Sooner or later due the lousy Spanish roads round here I am going to have to replace the ball joints on the steering knuckle. Getting the parts and fitting them does not seem too bad a job, but I have a question about lubrication.

The top joint has a grease nipple which is easy to get at, but the bottom one does not seem to have any means of getting grease into it once fitted.
The pictures of the two joints show grease nipples provided with both, but with the lower one there does not seem to be any space to fit it in.
Of all the time I have had the car it has never been greased. Is there any evidence to show that the lower one fails before the top one? If there is a way to grease the lower one please can someone tell me how? Thanks.

Do you mean 12 & 14 or 13 & 16

Is your system stock? Pics please

tjsteering-1.jpg

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

There are greasable and sealed ball joints. There are even adjustable ones with a special plate or offset ones.
It depends on brand and desire.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Thanks for the advice so far. Having had a closer look at what is on the car it seems that I have one greasable ball joint and one that can't be regreased. I have attached a pic of the knuckle and also a pic of what Crown are offering as a replacement which clearly shows two nipples in the pack.
There is just no space to fit the nipple between the top of the joint and the universal joint so it seems you have to run it without the option of regreasing, which does not seem a good idea.
I am always amazed when you read that a ball bearing or ball joint etc is 'sealed for life'. What do they mean by 'life'? Anything can be called for life, which simply means 'until it falls apart'. Nonsense really.

Going back to the replacements, can you get one sealed and one greasable? If so who makes them?

Attachments

• Steering Knuckle ball joints.jpg
    Steering Knuckle ball joints.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 166
  • CIMG2850.JPG
    CIMG2850.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
The new lower will have a grease fitting and a plug in the parts pack.install the fitting in the joint and grease the joint.remove the fitting and install the plug.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Now I see your concern. ^^Agree ^^ use the plug or get a 'sealed for life' one. However there is a way to get some grease into the boot.
New

Alternative:
If there is room or an alternative path can be made.
image-missing.png

lumaxcardiagnostickitslx141264_1000-1.jpg

Older part near end of life
The needle works but I recommend going under the boot if possible.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Now I see your concern. ^^Agree ^^ use the plug or get a 'sealed for life' one. However there is a way to get some grease into the boot.
New

Alternative:
If there is room or an alternative path can be made.
image-missing.png

lumaxcardiagnostickitslx141264_1000-1.jpg

Older part near end of life
The needle works but I recommend going under the boot if possible.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Thanks for the advice eveyone. I think I will do a combination of both as well as pumping in more grease before I fit it. Re the plug suggestion. For later on I'll see if you can position the U/J so you can remove to plug and fit the nipple and then put it back. I had not noted the plug in the picture.
Thanks.
Mike

Back