engine knock

yes , a knock. Sounding like a loose pipe rattleing only on accerleration. Coming from the exhaust manifold area. No loose pipes.

Tried sending video to an email, result was the file was to big to send. So I have no clue on what to do about that.

My exhaust loosens every so often at the y pipe to manifold. Only one of the 4 bolts loosen allowing enough movement for the pipe to knock against the oil-pan. Though i could feel it in the floor.
I tighten only about 1/2 turn. I should put a torque wrench on it. And maybe loctite or antiseize

Check your engine mounts. Does your engine rock if you rev it?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:

But loctite is the oppisite of antisieze, correct ?

Antisieze is an easy to remove coating. Keeps corrosion and dirt out. Adds some resistance to the bolt backing out.

Loctite is made to hold the bolts and threads in place.
Lower temp loctite will be liquid at operating temp and high temp ill need to take a torch to. I don’t want that.

Last edited:
cool, thanks for the info. Back to the knock, today I let it sit and run and get fully up to operating temperature and the knock darn near ceased. At times it runs like it's not fireing on a cylinder, then it well run normal. Little knock if any when reving it up.

Is it more tap than knock? your last post almost sounds like lifters.

I was thinking about that. Was thinking I should check the rocker arms and make sure they are torqued down to specs. I'm thinking that when it gets up to operating temperature whatever it is. is expanding and taking up the slack.

Also sounds like a loose intake that seals when at temp

And maybe a low quality oil filter depending on how long the noise is there. Oil filters have a valve to keep oil up in the top and primed. If the valve us bad all oil drains back into the pan. Because of this your valve train will be dry and noisy until the pump is primed with oil. wix is what i use.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, going to wait till next week before I get working in it. Need a warm day since my garage is unheated.

No , havnt got to it yet. But Have started it a few times and at times it well sound normal. No knock, the engine sounds just fine , then it well start to skip and the check engine light well come on and the knock well return. Geting warmer here this next week, and I'll be able to maybe get something done.

Started it up yesterday and it ran just fine, think I need to put one of those diagnostic do hiccys on it to find the problem. It had been sitting for a long time before I got it Maybe I need to run the $hit out of it to loosen it up.

Is it throwing any codes?
At a minimum I’d change the oil and filter. Put a good filter on like WIX, mobile 1, Purolator... Then change it again soon as it gets dark.

Last edited:
Think the oil was changed just before I got it, it looks clean. Just gonna run the $hit out of it and see what happens.

Went to a garage about 3 miles from me to see if He could come to my place since the jeep is not on the road, that failed. :?| Picked his brain for a moment N he thought the cam sensor, so that is gonna be the way I'm gonna go.

Back