96 Cherokee Sport Starting Problem

misofrmtn

Hi there everyone!

So I have a 96 Cherokee Sport. A couple months ago I went out to start it up after work and it wouldn't start. Went to try again and the second time the dashlights wouldn't even come on. Friend came and jumped it and got it home and after that it wouldn't even jump start. We ended up replacing the ignition switch, which after that it almost cranked after being jumped but instead we got an awful grinding noise. Assumed starter motor, but got it tested and it passed. Then we assumed starter relay, replaced that, was able to jump it, but it wouldn't start on it's own. So we drove it for an hour to try to charge the battery back up, got back to the house, turned it off, right back at square one, won't turn over, won't crank, dashlights won't even come on. Took the battery in and had it checked, it's relatively new, but they charged it back up for good measure, alternator tested fine. Tried to start it and nothing. Tried to jump it and nothing. I turned to some plugs, no frayed wires, no loose connections from what I can tell, but after cleaning the NSS connection the dashlights came back on, but not even an attempt to turn over. Tonight I removed the NSS thinking that had to be it, and after cleaning and reinstalling it, the jeep started for the first time in 2 months without a jump. Running a little rough, but nothing too bad. Turned it off, and went to start it again....and back at square one. No starting, no cranking, no dashlights. Last July the jeep got a new motor, a new computer, new water pump, new radiator, and in March we replaced the heater core. I have no idea what is wrong with it at this point and really need some input.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Check that the NSS is aligned properly.

Is it cranking but not starting? Check the fuel pressure. If good consider replacing the CKP on the bellhousing. Use only OEM

If it does not crank check the wiring to the starter and the grounds. I reciently checkec my grounds and found 30-50 ohms between the battery ground terminal and the body near my cb antenna. Cleaning all connections brought it below 1 ohms.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

What do you mean by aligned properly? I took it apart and cleaned it, and made sure it was back in "park" before putting it together,but I'm wondering if aligned means something different? It won't even crank.

Cool
Cheap fixes are great.

By aligned i believe there is some slop or adjustment in mounting position. And as you noted, being in the correct position when reinstalling.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back