K & N air filter

mikebean

Has anyone tried the K & N filter that replaces the standard/stock air filter (drops right in the stock air box) that costs around $52.00 ?[addsig]

Yup that is what that I run! It works real well it gave me a better air flow and a noticable incress in power and gas milage. The beauity of this over the conacal filter and tube is you have a little more or rather a lot mor protection from a wet filter when out in the woods. I also drilled a few holes in the factory breather box to allow more air in. I like the set up so far. I plan to add a tube at a later date and give it a try to see if it is that much better but will keep my current system if it is not that much of an improvement. Tug[addsig]

Let me toss my two cents in about "pleated gause" air filters..they certainly do increase performance, which is the objective. This like any other product must be applied and maintained properly. Typically these units are used as single stage filtration..this may work well for a street only vehicle. In my opinion, if an engine is to be used for extended times in off-road dry/dusty conditions at least a wetted foam prefilter should be used in addition. Also it is most important to follow the manufacturer's directions on how to service the filter. And if used off-road, the servicing must be frequent.

The best way to check if the filter is working well, send an oil sample off for analysis. If there is a high load of silicates, rethink your filtration approach. Personally, I use an oversized pleated paper filter with a wetted foam prefilter. Admittedly, the paper is less tolerant of water but it will filter out particles down to a few microns.

Dawg [addsig]

the K&N Filters have a "recharger" spray that you clean the thing down with and you're good to go... i run a drop-in style filter in my airbox, and i love it! i also cut a hole in the side of my airbox to allow more airflow and it makes a good amount more noise too :)[addsig]

Looking for Advice before I buy

Be aware though, that if your state has emmission inspections, replacing the existing airbox with an airtube and K&N filter will make your vehicle fail. The reason being is that the airbox is part of the "original" emmissions components of the vehicle. Part of the inspection is a "visual" inspection to make sure that everything that is supposed to be there actually is. Well, with the airbox gone, it's obvious that there is something missing. So, it will fail. My inspector will not allow my jeep to pass with this modification. So, since I gotta get emissions checked every other year, I swap out the K&N for the airbox and use this oportunity to clean the K&N filter...
Ed
web/gadget guru

Removal of Hard Doors

I also use a K&N filter but I have gone the way of ditching the air box and use a vortex tube. When I go off roading with the cone type of K&N you can get wraps for them K&N. I had mine custom made since I couldnt find one my size (25$). These outter wraps are made from nylon type of material first seen on the off road circuit and now in many bike shops. These prefilters do restrict some air flow but catch all of the fine sand and dust. I wash mine every night when I am trail riding in soap and water and let dry over night. If you cant find them just buy a set of nylons and cut to fit. I spray on filter oil every morning and put it on my K&N.

Back