dead gauges

NuknFutsDemit

Hey everyone

Jeep grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0

Items replaced
PCM (bought online it was not programmed by the dealership)
Battery (refurbished)
Turn signal relay
I know some of these don’t relate to the problem at hand, just giving the info of all work done recently.

Issues
Gauges dead
Gas light, check engine, check gauges, no security lights are on.
Windows worked until today and now won’t go back up. They were working then I tried using the passenger side switch and now they won’t go up.

Attempts to fix
New PCM (after replacing PCM jeep runs fine)

Checked wires from radio to make sure none were bare and causing a short.
Checked plug on cluster
Found a ground just above the PCM to the right but not connected on the other end.

I gave as much info as i could if anymore questions please let me know.

Thanks for posting the year ,idle and history.
Behind the Gage's there is a connection that is often found loose. Locate it, inspect it and push it back together.

I hate finding typos due to word suggestions or autocorrect.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
is it any perticlar wire or totally random? also today my windows quit working im not sure if this is related to current problem or not but thought id mention it along with the jeep locks but the horn dont sound when it does

Hmmmm....check the wiring diagram and see if you can spot a common ground...if so, it might be loose or corroded. Try and run a temporary ground.

It's behind the gages. Take it apart and clean the contacts. Add dielectric grease to seal and try it out. You could run the diagnostic test. Push and hold trip reset. Turn key on then off let go of reset. Every light and needle should go through a test. If not comm is bad.

Try resetting the PCM. Remove pos battery connection. Hold to to negative for 30 sec to drain charge from system. Reconnect battery. Turn key on do not start. Turn lights on. Lights off key off.

Also turn the 4way flashers on and off a bunch of times. The switch gets dirty and is a path for many circuits.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
thanks for the help guys!!! L completed all suggested fixes. cluster passed communications test. I took the positive and negative cables off battery held them together for 30 seconds to kill the juice left in system. cleaned the terminals and added die electric grease to the plug. I did notice slight change in the cluster, the charging gauge goes up to just under 9 ,oil pressure and temp gauge goes up to first white line. I removed the BCM to try and find the ground to the dash but was unsuccessful. Any other leads are very welcome.

Is your battery fully charged? Is it really 9 V?
Try recleaning and verify contacts are being made. Ohm or continuity test across if you can.
A bad battery or wires or ground cables will cause odd stuff. Res from door jamb to battery neg post should be less than 2 ohms. Otherwise clean ground connections.

The action to reset the PCM includes key on and lights on then lights off key off. Draining the charge clears codes but may not dump the adaptive memory and reset the comm.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

tested battery got 12.41 volts, with jeep not running. Can anyone tell me is the BCM plug n play or does it have to be programmed to the vin # as well

UPDATE: i recieved an email this morning from the shop repairing my BCM, they said its in perfect working order and are refunding most of my payment except for shipping cost. Now i am back to square one, this time im thinking its either wiring or ground. any ideas where to look please help.

UPDATE: SOLVED turns out the skim module was blocking my gauges from working bc i didnt know to disconnect it before installing the new pcm. so i pulled pcm out and sent it back and installed new one properly and removed no security key light on cluster. door locks, windows , key fob, are all working now. only problem left is i have air coming out of my driver side vent but nothing from my center vents under the radio, thinking it maybe vacuum leak.

UPDATE: i recieved an email this morning from the shop repairing my BCM, they said its in perfect working order and are refunding most of my payment except for shipping cost. Now i am back to square one, this time im thinking its either wiring or ground. any ideas where to look please help.[/QUOTE]

Back