2015 grand Cherokee Limited 3.6L V6 heating concern

gursh

Hi guys,

So about a couple of months ago I had the radiator blow. Something caused a huge hole in the radiator. Anyway I got that replaced, but because I kept on driving without noticing it sooner I ran the car hot. So eventually I got the head gasket checked and repaired. Its been about about a week since I got it back and seems to run better.

My concern is this. To monitor the coolant temp I attached a ODB device as i drive to see the change in temp. So when it works as normal I see it moving from 90C to 98C (194F - 208F). When it idles for example in busy traffic sometimes I see the temperature go up to 105C (221F) before the fan kicks in and cools it down to the range above. I know the fan starts then because I tested this by letting it run and seeing when it kicks in.

I have read some some forums that with new cars this is normal. Love to get your view points on this. The image attached is the high point on the gauge (105C). Normally it stays around the first thick line (norm).
IMG-20190826-WA0003.jpeg

Thanks in advance for for help yall!:)

Attachments

• IMG-20190826-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20190826-WA0003.jpeg
    948.7 KB · Views: 34

For some time autos have been designed to run at or slightly above 210. They are equipped with 195 deg thermostats. And due to delay in heat exchange and flow ... the temp is 195-210. This is normal. Typically at 215 to 220 the PCM will start to set a check gages code light and audible alarm. Above 220 the gage shoots up and you go into limp mode. No power shuddering... this is to protect the engine. The mechanical fan has a hydraulic clutch that engages the fan for cooling. These go bad. The electronic fan runs off of a temp sensor . I do. not know if the temp is adjustable. But the numbers are close to what i expect. Maybe a bit high for kicking on the fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Thank you for the info. So how would I test the clutch. I have read online that you can test it with the AC. After testing this, the car gets cooled pretty quick. Not sure if this is the right way to check... Maybe the thermostat? Is there a way to test that? The third possibility is sensor, any way to check that? I dint get the alarms at all.... In fact even when the car ran hot I head it once or twice which sent me to get it repaired, but thats when the needle went to the top on the gauge. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Back