the biggest tires.

jeepmaster

havent been around here in awhile, been busy with things. ive decided its time to get new tires and such (with summer coming and all) what are the biggest tires i can fit under my XY w. no rubbing? id like to get the black AR rims, what size, width, backspacing etc should i get. basically at the moment im lookin to widen up the stance, and get the black rims and have it handle a little better in the mud. 30's maybe? on 15 inche rims, just dont know how wide and what backspacing. your help is appreciated. ~ max[addsig]

235x75x15 i think. im no XJ expert :lol: :lol: [addsig]

Do you have a lift? If not, I think 30's is the biggest. I think dingus has a 3" lift with 31's.

With a small lift you can get 31's in there. 4.5" of backspacing looks good for a wider stance.

With a 4.5" lift, 32's are just about right. 4.5" of backspacing looks good for a wider stance. And with what he called "some major trimming" I know that our friend Icy Fridge fit some 33's into a that same lift.

Go here to see Icy's 33's on a 4.5" lift[addsig]

I have 33's under my XJ....with around a 4.5 lift or so...but Major Trimming...came to my construction party too.....dont forget that if you go very big on the tires, you will need to add some gear too. But if you actually spend time Wheelin' it's worth it..and be sure the tires are appropriate for the terrain you drive the most. A/T's are good for most stuff except mud. If mud is your thing...Cooper Discoverer MT's are good and well behaved on the street too...but if you are serious about mud...get you some Boggers. :evil: They dont last long on the street, and are noisy as the dickens...but yah cant beat the look....

Dawg[addsig]

Hey Mud dawg, since I am thinking about doing the 33's with the 4.5" lift, I was hoping you had pics!

Icyfridge had some and it helps, but I can't really see just how much trimming is necessary.

[addsig]

I think i still have some pics laying around somewhere..but no scanner. :-( And if you are planning on running the stock bumper setup..what I did may look funny. But basically I just cut out fender till everything cleared...after i ripped out the inner fender liners...trimmed the rear part of the fender back..i have one lower fender bolt left if that helps...and the front of the fender is trimmed off even with the bottom of the turn signal assembly....had to make filler plates to seal between the back part of the fender and the body to keep mud out of that area. Also mine is a two door...the work on the back will be different on a four door. To clarify the regearing thing...I have a 2.5 and auto trans in mine..after I installed the lift and tires...In high range it didnt have enough power to pull a greasy string out of a cat's butt...and the fuel economy went down to less than 10mpg....I installed 4.88 gears...fuel economy is back up to near 16 mpg and Ol' Dawg can chew some serious mud..if you have a I-6...you might not need as much gear..[addsig]

I have 3 1/2 inches of lift nad occassionally my 31 inch BFG mud terrains will rub. Only minorly but with less lift they would definately rub more.[addsig]

Back