Engine swap

Hootiesskipper

I have 98 grand ch, motor bad. Will the motor, (4
.0's), in my 02 grand cherokee swap out w/o harness/icu swap? FOR SURE ANSWER, has anyone actually made this swap? BTW, I owned a certified shop for 18 years Thelma I have long since been out of the game since 1990. I have learned the 98 has a block casting all its own. does this say to me that no other engine block will go in because of sensor location and design and hookup without changing the wire harness and ICU? I am 65 years old and disabled so I really need to know be sure before I open the hood 2 make it go. Also if anyone knows of a good 4.0 leader oh, I have an excellent 4.0 na 02 Grand Cherokee that a tree fell on during the hurricane

Last edited:

Will a 2002 4.0L swap directly into a 98 Grand Cherokee?
Likely. Take the PCM and wiring with the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Will a 2002 4.0L swap directly into a 98 Grand Cherokee?
Likely. Take the PCM and wiring with the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Necessary to swap harness because of sensors locations/design, differences? I have different answers from powertime products and other people powertrain products says the 98 has a specific block casting number and no other motor will go in the 98. I would like to find out once and for all please will be 4 out of an identical equipped O2 Grand Cherokee bolt in and replace the one in the 98 Cherokee without changing the harness and computer etc can anyone give me a once and for all correct answer thank you very much ahead of time

Last edited:
Back